Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be heading down to ozark jewel's this weekend and picking up the new addition to our family, the spotted jersey holstein heifer calf she had for sale. She will be about 3 weeks old when we get her. We have raised bottle calves before but they have always been older. I was just wondering what we should have on hand for her. We will have to put her on milk replacer, but we were going to get some milk from Emily so we can mix it half and half for a little while to transition her. We have penicillan and LA200 on hand and are going to keep her in the barn through the winter. Also, we live about 5 hours away, so she will be traveling for 5 hours. Is there anything we should give her or do to get ready for trip? Sorry for all the questions, but I've been wanting a jersey heifer and I fell in love with her when I first saw her picture, so I want to make sure I have everything she needs. Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Congratulations! I am sure Emily will give you advice on anything that you may need.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,444 Posts
You'll enjoy meeting Emily. She is a wealth of information. Be sure to take notes, and have a great visit.

NeHi

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
A 5 hour ride, ...Anderson Farms where are you located? (You don't list that in your profile, that's about how far St. Louis is from Ozark...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we live in northern missouri. We probably could have found one closer, but we liked being able to see the mom and know that she had been started right. I'm not looking forward to drive (i'm almost 5 months pregnant with second baby) but can't wait to get her. It's supposed to be in upper 50's sunday, but we also have a calf blanket if she needs one. I'll be sure to pass good words onto Emily when i meet her.

·
Registered
720 Posts
One thing that comes to mind is keep all drafts away from teh calf during transportation. Do'nt have her sealed up tight. Just no wind blowing through.
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts