getting involved with 4-H

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vinylfloorguy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. vinylfloorguy

vinylfloorguy Well-Known Member

I am getting ready to move to a small acreage in nebraska and would really like to get my kids involved in 4-H. I would also like to contribute but I am sort of a jack of all trades but master of none kind of a guy.How much does a person need to know about a subject before he can contribute?

2. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

Not really I mean you need to know the subject if you are going to be a leader.

3. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

What part of Nebraska are you moving to? I live an hour NW of Omaha...

What type of projects are you looking into for your kids? Livestock, gardening,etc? Here is a link for online agricultural newsletters with archives that might help (I noticed some articles on 4H there too)

http://lancaster.unl.edu/nebline/

Here is a link for the Nebraska 4H

http://4h.unl.edu/

Hope this helps!! Good luck in the move and have fun with the kids!
    Terri

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on where you are going to locate, find the nearest county extension office, and either email them or call them and find out what clubs are in your area, who the leaders are, and their contact information. Some clubs are only for one project, but most have other things available. There are projects in Colorado, at least that are called "self determined" where the kids pretty much plot their own course, but have to fill out a project book.

You'll get the best results if you let the kids select a project that interests them, and offer your help in what you know how to do. There are all kinds of leader training classes available, too. 4H has been the best thing in the world for our granddaughter, 14 almost 15, who has been with us since age 6 and has a truck load of emotional issues. Kids can do all kind of projects from the traditional "farm" type things like raising livestock and poultry, to computers, biking and jewelry making. GO for it!

Jan in CO

5. t-bird

t-bird Member

It's not so much what you know but your willingness to get involved. You will learn very quickly. I was on the 4H council and president in Washington Co for 4 years. Good luck, it's a very good program for your kids and yourself.
    T-bird

6. vinylfloorguy

vinylfloorguy Well-Known Member

Thanks TerriA for the links. I have already signed up for the neblinks. I plan on moving to holt co. in the next couple of months. I grew up on a ranch in Keya Paha co. Neb.,My intrests are poultry, photography, gardening and cooking. Like I said I have expirence in a lot of different areas but I'm not sure if I know enough about each one to really help.

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I used to be a 4-H leader. Great for the kids, and I loved it! It's so rewarding to see children grow & mature while having fun.

What are your interests that tie in with a 4-H project? Then become an assistant leader or a helper. You can learn that way, too. Every leader can use another set of hands.

Cheers to you!!

8. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Like someone else said, you don't really need to know alot about the subject, just a good attitude and be willing to learn. That is what 4-H is about. Learning, doing, sharing.
    4-H is an excellent program! I say jump right in! Get involved and do more listening and asking than talking, and you will learn more than you ever wanted.
    Clovis, a 9 year 4-H member

9. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I was a 4-H member for 9 years. My mom didn't know much about anything a child learns in 4-H, but she became a leader in a club that had a main focus on horses. She never rode a horse (and even had a small fear of horses). She had no interest in crafts, science, animals, or any of the projects offered in 4-H, but she liked children. She learned from the local leader's meetings, clinics, and information that was presented to the members. She was good at instructing the kids how to do things, even though she never did it herself.

The leaders are there to guide the children in the meetings, fund raisers, etc. In my county, the county extension office has clinics and workshops to teach the children how to complete their projects. My son was in 4-H and completed a lot of projects at the workshops.

If you like children and are willing to put some time into it, you'll be a great leader!

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

You don't necessarily have to be an expert in a specific subject, but it helps to be organized and to be able to enjoy kids in their many forms and moods. You can have a guest lead a project or learning experience, you don't need to do it yourself every month. In fact you could have a different family be in charge of bringing a subject to learn about each month. The extension service (4-H Youth Development) is a good place to start. They have booklets, judging kits, and activities for many of the 4-H project areas. Find out if your extension office gets college interns, they would probably love a chance to come and talk to your club about their favorite project area. I realize each state is different, so if the extension office help is unavailable, start looking on the internet. Don't forget your neighbors. Do you know who is famous for their homemade bread, sewing, showing horses, etc.? They would make great guest speakers, and it's good for the kids to interact with someone outside their age group. I once had a college age student come and talk to the kids about nutrition, they hit it off pretty well. I hope you can find the help you need to get started. Good luck!