getting fur

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

At what age do the kits start to get fur ?

Thanks in advance

Tiffany

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, since we have just had our first live litter, my experience is limited, lol, but our litter was born on Sunday night and they definitely had fur noticeable by Tuesday morning, maybe even a little on Monday night, so pretty quick, I'd say. BTW, we have New Zealand Whites.

3. Elizabeth

Just noticed, they are getting teeth, too.

4. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Ours were born tuesday and wednesday and I noticed they have a little bit of fur but didnt know when they would have enough to be able to stay out in the barn overnight in the cold.

Also elizabeth, they are born with teeth, at least the ones I have were

This litter is californians but I am expecting some floridas and NZW soon ( have my fingers crossed )

5. Elizabeth

The million $$$$ question around here is when can the kits stay out- I think I have decided to wait another day or two and then as soon as the temp in the rabbit barn is 32 deg I am going to put them out, at least during the day. Night time sleepovers will probably wait a bit longer. Interesting to read that so many others have no problems with outdoor rabbits in cold weather- not sure why mine froze when theirs don't. Oh well!

I did not know that the rabbits were born with teeth- I saw them for the first time today and thought they had just emerged. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

Please keep us posted on your litters, especially how you manage the cold.

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

You may want to keep them indoors a bit longer.... But just keep an eye on them. Don't want to lose the little guys.
    :p