Getting free solar panels!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Oct 28, 2006.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I am so excited. We always wanted to get some solar panels but could not afford them. One of my milk customers is moving and offered to lend indeffinatly , some solar panels and batteries. All we need to do is hook them up. From what I can tell they would be enough to supply power to our whole house. We estimate the value to be upwards of $10,000.
    I do love my customers!
    stef

2. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

WOW!! Lucky you! That would excite me as much as finding a diamond in Ark.

Have fun with your new toys.. (I know I would!).. :dance:

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Lucky you, indeed! :dance:

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Thats GREAT!!!!!!!!!

You are going to love em.

BooBoo

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

How awesome! I wish I knew how to set something up like that... I'd love to get off the grid with solar and wind power here.

6. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

7. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Its not hard to do---Just do some research on it. Basicially its----put solar panels in sunny area-------two wires from each panel hooks to Charge Controller---it hooks to batteries--------batteries hooks to battery operated things-----like lights etc and a inverter------the inverter converts battery power to AC(house current)------the size of the inverter determinds how many watts you can pull off of it----Example--1500 watt hair dryer----you would need a 2000watt inverter--------If you tried to hook a 6000 to 8000 watt electric stove that runs on 220volts-----Forget it---you better get a gas stove-LOL. Your best bet it to learn to live like you would if you were on solar first---------You would need to learn how to cut way back on your electric bill---unless yours is cheap now. Without sitting down and doing alot of figuring---Hey Fellows----this is to just give him a Idea------lets say your electric bill is between $100 and $200 per month-------if you were to go to solar panels and some wind and NOT cut your electric usage----Probably cost you between $100,000 to $200,000 to get set-up to run your house-------if you could cut your electric bill in half---then the solar system could be cut. I have about $15,000 set-up(solar panels--no wind) and on average I can make (guessing) app $25 to $30 worth of electricity per month. Hope this helps!! Randy

Edited To Add------You sould not get into solar because you feel it is cheaper, because in "MY OPINION(?)" it is cheaper to stay on grid, You can set-up to get your electric usage down to near nothing so you can have a cheap electric bill just as you would have to do----to be on solar. I didn't get on solar because of MONEY--------I got on it to become as self sufficant as possible------I Love Not Having a Electric Bill, but I like the FEEL of Making my Own Electric----I Guess I feel Independant--maybe.

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

LOVE living on solar power (yep, even up here in Alaska) but still working out the kinks...

9. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I picked them up yesterday! There are 12 panels. 12 batteries, inverterbox and circuit breakers. Everything down to the wires. Now all I need is Mike to get the use of his hands back from the Lyme and I am good to go!

10. mightybooboo

Wow,very nice setup!!!!!

BooBoo

11. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

LOVE living on solar power (yep, even up here in Alaska) but still working out the kinks...

Well, I'd think one of the "kinks" would be that the sun runs away and hides for 6 weeks every year?

Sounds great, steff!! That's quite a boon! I have one tiny peice of solar equipment - my attic fan (panel built into the top of it). When I had my roof replaced a year ago, I had them but it in (the attic was completely UN-vented - part of the reason why the roof baked itself into oblivion). The roofer said sure, he'd be glad to stick it in once he got the old roof torn off - but I'd need an electrician to do the wiring.

Tee hee - it was fun telling him there WAS no wiring!!!

12. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

So jealous! Have fun.

Salmonberry

13. mightybooboo

Even not knowing the size of these panels,but making general assumptions,thats enough to run a solar home quite nicely if you get decent sun.I could live on 12 75 watt panels.

BooBoo