Getting first dogie tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., May 9, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

The lady from the nearby (about 30 miles... 16 miles of it via dirt road) ranch called today to say they had a 2 week old calf that's a twin with the mom not making enough milk. They were bottle feeding it to begin with, then put it with the mom again this weekend. The calf was on the cow, but the cow wasn't making enough milk for both, so it's coming to my house tomorrow!!!

I'll try to post tomorrow to let you know what it is and anything else I can tell you. I've been bummed that I was aiming to try to see Corabelle last week and there was always a glitch. Guess God knew I needed a shot in the arm (of course, I'm still aiming to see her this week).

2. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

So.....????? do you have a new baby to love? Nobody will every take the place of Corabelle, but somebody else could use just as much love. :)

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Christina:

What do you know about this twin? Was it twin bulls, or twin heifers, or a bull/heifer pair?

You probably know that the heifer of a bull/heifer pair of twins has about a ninety percent chance of being a non breeder, not fully developed. Don't get attached to it until you know what the facts are.
    Ox

4. wchris2298

wchris2298 Member

Congratulations on your twin. My Sugar was a twin in the same situation, mom couldn't make enough milk to feed both. We got her at 1 day old. Unfortunately, she had a twin brother so there is a high probability she will be sterile but she is a good pet. She weighed about 35-40 pounds at birth and now is about 300 lbs at 11 weeks old. She is bigger than the other calves the same age as her. Good luck with your endeaver.

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Finally I get time to post a reply. I'm going into getting these beef calves only to take care of them until they are weaned from the bottle, then get the back to the ranchers who will turn them loose on the range. The one I was getting is a freemartin. Both her and her brother were on the bottle and hay. When I went to pick her up, there was a momma and a calf that had just been brought in from the range. The calf had a broken leg (about 5" down from the hip). I think the plan was to put the calf down and try grafting the freemartin on the cow, then turn them both back out. They were going to call if that didn't work, so I take it everything went well. Right now it's a wait and see thing. If a calf shows up that needs bottle feeding, they'll send it my way until the time is done. If this is a season that there aren't any needs, then that's the way that is.

It'll be kind of neat as there isn't anything better thab hanging out with calves. The ranches have tons of calves. As we were driving home, we topped a part of the mesa where most of the calves are. They sure are the best.

I did get to see Corabelle and Opal on the way out to the ranch. Of course I cried most of the time I was with her. Both of them are doing great. Believe it or not Opal has already gone into heat (AT 6 MONTHS OLD!!!). The bull they are going to use to breed Corabelle arrives next month. The owner of them knows to keep him away from Opal! Thanks for asking everyone, and I'll update you when I get a new friend.