Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, sorry I haven't been around much lately. Lots to do.
Nothing really the matter, just here to share my excitement about how my first 2 Nubian doelings' are coming along
They are Grade, bred to a nigerian dwarf for their first kidding. I hope to breed up to American next year with a nice purebred buckling I acquired this year
The brown roan is Sunkist and the black roan is Starburst. Silly names, I know but the girls themselves are very cute! And I saw some kids moving in there just yesterday

Attachments

·
Crazy Goat Lady
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lovely ladies. When are your girls due?
They are both due beginning of March. Unfortunately they were with the buck a whole month so exact date is not determined :/
I will be prepping the kidding area and keeping a close eye on them as they near kidding. No udder formation yet, so I'm really interested to see how they will turn out!

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Our two are due between Feb 7 and Feb 12. We used a wax crayon made for a breeding harness with our buck. Marked his belly and when the color showed up on the back of the doe we knew he'd done his job. :)
Hope yours do well and you'll have pictures to share soon.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our two are due between Feb 7 and Feb 12. We used a wax crayon made for a breeding harness with our buck. Marked his belly and when the color showed up on the back of the doe we knew he'd done his job. :)
Hope yours do well and you'll have pictures to share soon.
That is a great technique. I might be investing in something like that for next year, to save myself the anxiety of uncertain due dates!
The buck doesn't get caught up in anything wearing a harness 24/7? Would that work for a Dwarf covering a (albeit smaller) full size doe?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
We actually didn't use the harness (although I've purchased one now).
We just rubbed the crayon on his belly and watched for the color to show up on the back of the doe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts