getting doe bred. what info do I need from the breeder

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Nov 20, 2004.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

As I said in my subject line, I'm getting my Nigerian Dwarf bred. She's a purebreed, but I haven't gotten around to getting her registered yet. The breeder is waiting on his papers because he's just gotten around to doing it himself. So what is I need from him? A breeding Memorandum or what?

Thank you. I kinda need to know ASAP because I'm picking her up today.

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

You will need to get a service memo from him stating the buck used and the date bred. This can be a real pain getting paper work from a breeder sometimes. I bough a couple of does that were bred and one of the does had not been registered and the other had not been transfered when he had bought her. It took almost two years to get my paper work done. They did not get in a hurry at all. I had to keep calling. When I did get them, then I had to transfer the does into my name and then register their first bunch of kids that were born weeks after I got them and then register their kids some of which had already kidded. What a mess for someone new with goats to do. This takes weeks to send in and get back each time. I was afraid that ADGA would frown on sending in paper work for mother, daughter and grand-daughter all at once:( This was one situation that I will not go through again. You are at the sellers mercy and on sweet time. :(
    A service memo is no problem and is no big deal to get from the owner when you pick up the doe, but if you can't get your doe registered, then this will be of little importance. Hope this will be of some help.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

As a committe member on ADGA's board of arbitration I can tell you that you are setting yourself up for a nitemare. Sure this may work out in the long run, IF you register your doe right now, and the buck's owner sends in the paperwork right now also. Right now you are going to let your unregistered doe be bred to an unregistered buck. I would never do this. Why, because you have no way of forcing this person to EVER register this buck, what if he dies tommorrow, what if he gets kicked off the property and sells all the animals, what if his wife sells all his goats out of spite (all things that I know have happened) which means you have kids who are worth only pet money if you can secure it. A service memo from an unregistered buck would not have a registration number so would not be a contract. Your doe is unregistered, so I couldn't even fill out the service memo portion in full because I don't have this information. I would not breed your doe until you had this paperwork also.

Never ever sit on paperwork and not send it in on purchased stock. Never breed to bucks that are not owned and registered to the person who is offering service. IF the buck is at the farm on lease than get permission from the original owner before using the buck. You can put of registering your own kids and your own bucks, bred by you, doing it before the next kids are registered, but never with someone else's paperwork. Yep I can feel a nitemare coming on :) Vicki

4. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I know the farm the buck came from. The guy who owns him now has already sent off for the paperwork. When I picked up my doe, he gave me a piece of paper with the bucks name and registration number. He said he'd sign whatever I needed when I get the forms ready. He's never bred someone else's does before, so he didnt know exactly what I needed either, but he doesn't strike me as one who doesn't care about such things. He ran a very neat and tidy farm. All his goats were in very good health. I know I haven't done things in the most ideal way, but I think everything will work out fine. In the future I'll be more prepared. I just needed to know what form I needed.....a service memo?

Thanks everyone! We're just happy to be getting milk soon...oh, and goat babies will be nice.