Getting cold out.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by james dilley, Nov 30, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Our overnite lows are expected to be 39 degrees . Thats cold for us. I put A quilt on the bed with my blankets. The masjor thing is in this area. very few people are set up for cold weather. So there will be A lot of kids missing school. next week. So whats your weather doing???

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

It's been unseasonably mild. But the cold front moving through the midwest will be here tomorrow. I've heard we can kiss anything above 39 degrees goodbye, even during the day, for awhile.

Good news is - my furnace will finally be operational as of tomorrow!

3. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

We are finally warming up!

This week it's been -25 C as the daily HIGH ... my truck was frozen solid and wouldn't start even with a boost, so I've been stuck at home for several days (including a dramatic emergency visit by Mom, who brought more gas for the generator and food for the dogs and chickens ... not QUITE sufficiently prepared!).

Today, though, it got up to about -9, and the truck started (yay!). It's chilly tonight again, cause the wind has picked up, but I should actually be able to go to work tomorrow ...first time since Monday. :)

4. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be below freezing for a few hours tonight, low 30's or even upper 20's, we'll have to see. I woke up at 8 a.m. when the storm front blew through, and it really was blowing. The wind hit the house so hard I thought a big limb or something had come down on the roof. I set up a fire in the woodstove but didn't light it until about noon, when the temp was down to about 42. Still was 75 in the house, but I figured I wouldn't let the house get too chilly before starting the fire. Rain and wrecks everywhere, so I just went back to bed for a while, spent the day doing chores and working on my Christmas display.

5. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We had -14 last night...supposed to be a little warmer tonight.

6. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

Anchorage AK. Just an hour drive from the real Alaska. We are getting snow showers. Warmer temps than the last 2 weeks. Expecting 6-8 inches accumulation.

It seems like the plains are getting a little "global warming" since I was a kid in Yuma County. Sage brush and snow banks is what I remember. I have not seen a real blizzard or even good blown snowbank since I have been here.

7. wottahuzzee

wottahuzzee Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope everybody in the path of the weather system stays safe and sound. Be careful, folks.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Very windy this morning, no snow - doesn't appear to be terribly cold, either........

9. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have a min/max thermometer and Thursday's high was and unusual 59F.
    We then watched the temp drop 4 degrees in 5 minutes. It was 39F this morning and a bitter wind. Rain now, but will turn to snow later today.

We've got all the split wood in the basement and I'll be baking cookies today to heat the house, too.

10. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

After six days of 65 degrees and sunny, it all came to an end yesterday. We got a TON of rain between yesterday afternoon and this morning. Lots of flooding around. Thankfully though the cold front is just now creeping in now that most of the rain is gone. Supposed to be in the lows 20's tonight and maybe 1" or less of snow. Bitter cold by tomorrow and for the next several days - hopefully this wind will die down - yikes! :)