Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all the inside part of the chimney installed yesterday. Now if it ever stops raining I will get the roof cut. Hoping to fire it this weekend. What should we expect with our first burn? I have heard it will stink.? Very small fire for the first few? Anyone know what to clean the coating off the top with?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It will stink and smoke. Stoves usually have any oily coating on them to prevent rust while in shipment and in stores. I found out in the past, the best thing to do is start a fire in a new stove outside before taking it in the house.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Installed and burning, good feeling isn't it? Congrats!
I have to say, I'm not familliar with that stove, but I like the size of the fire box.
If you don't mind me asking, how much does a stove like that cost?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's a Kitchen Queen....they run around $2400.....I think they are the best built stove on the market. They are built to where the smoke goes upward all the time....like the old fashioned step stove....In a regular old cook stove the heat travels across the top of the oven...down the side, then under and back up....leaving alot of ash to be cleaned out frequently....the KQ has the heat go under the oven , up the sides...across the top and out the flue...Supposedly you can get by cleaning the top the oven about once a month...and the rest of the ashes once or twice a year...If you look up Obadiahs woodstoves site he has several videos

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Plowhand, I couldn't have said it any better. We are VERY new to wood heat but I think we made a good choice on this one. Time will tell! We have 2nd fire burning as I type.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts