Getting BIG!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by vancom, Oct 10, 2006.

1. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Man, are Fred and Barney ever getting big! Measured using the string and tape measure, and came out between 160 and 170--seems about right. We are pricing sausage grinders and stuffers, casings and cuts right now (first pigs so we got to start from scratch) and found the processor, worked out the late November/early December pick up-- now we are working on a bacon place--wow. I cannot wait to fill that chest freezer with pork!

Vanessa

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

It is so exciting, isn't it?! I bought a lard/fruit/sausage press, but I still need a grinder. Up to this point we've brought ours in to the butcher, but do a little bit more each time. Now we sugar cure the bacon, bring in our own spices for sausage, and have some hams to try curing. One day - I hope to do the whole shebang at our place.

Just sharing your excitement - good luck!

Niki

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

VanCom - They will jump from 175 to 240, how is it they say "In a chicken's heartbeat" LOL. Good that you are making arrangements now. Have a trailer lined up to move them? You are gonna LOVE the Pork Roast, Chops, Steaks, and all....HuHogg, HuHogg :clap: :clap:

4. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

We were relieved to find that the processor had a guy that would come and pick them up, too!

He asked if we wanted them skinned or boiled--hum? I'm guessing skinned but anyone have any idea about this?

Vanessa

5. dezeeuwgoats

Boiling them so they can scrape off the stiff, bristly hairs that cover them.....in case you want the skins. I can't think right off the top of my head what they use them for.....because we've never gotten the skin back. Pork rinds, maybe? I'm sure someone here knows better than me.

By the way - I fed our hogs today - it's my oldest son's job usually. Good heavens they've grown! I could not get over how much they've grown the past month. Up North is right about the 'chicken's heartbeat' thing! Seems like I was just telling my husband that they weren't ready yet, and I think the biggest one will have to go in when we return from our trip to Arkansas in two weeks.

niki

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You don't actually boil them, you just scald them. If you bring the water to a boil, you'll cause the hair to "set", and you'll never get them scraped. The main thing with skinning is the bacon. Unless the skinner is very skilled and very careful, you'll lose most of your bacon by skinning.

7. dezeeuwgoats

Losing most of the bacon? NOT COOL! :eek:

niki

8. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Who and where is your processor? MIne are getting up there, I found some people here to do it, but would like more options!

9. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

we are using an outfit in Chapel Hill, just south of where we are in williamson county. we compared two local places (remember that we are in what I refer to as the pseudo-country--southeast williamson county) so things in your part of the great state of TN maybe better/cheaper. we ended up with the one in Chapel Hill cause I met the guy that owns Greer Hams (yum yum) and he steered me away from one, very politely pointing out that I may not get MY meat back, if you know what I mean.

Now I am nervous about the skinning/scalding dilemma. I LOVE bacon!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

10. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

Some folks always skin and swear by it but its pretty rare here. I don't think the local processors even offer the service. They have a dipping arrangement that is pretty slick, so they are geared for the scraping vs. skinning.
    I think skinning started as a way for the backyard processor to avoid the major handling problems associated with dipping and scraping. Other than that, I don't know of any advantage to skinning. (but I'm sure some folks will chime in) :)
    I preffer scraping because it keeps the quarters cleaner while you're handling them. The skin also protects the hams while they are being smoked.
    If you have the choice, I'd recommend scraping vs skinning.

Paul

11. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

The skin is used for pork cracklins and rinds. Some people who don't care for them, just have the pigs skinned. Here our processors fry and package it for us. if you haven't tried them, you should as they taste great.. :)