Getting babies to take bottle

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jwcinpk, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

What's the trick to getting little ones to take the bottle? Found mom dead this morning and have 2 little does to try to get on the bottle. Little ones are between two and three weeks old , so they got a good start. Today is the first day without mom and they actually nursed her after she died so how long before they will be hungry enough to take a bottle?
    Not too long ago we were up to 35 and now we are back to 31. I had used Golden Blend wormer and apparently it didn't work. The vet said parasites are what is killing them. We've switched to Ivomec injectable so we'll see if this works.
    It's sad I had goats here for over a year and decided to add more and now in just a few months I've brought in enough parasites to do them in. :waa:

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Paitence, I have 2 doelings in my barn now that are 6 weeks old I sold thier mother and it took 4 days to get them to take to a bottle, one I still have to catch her and stick the bottle in her mouth. Every day we get better and better.Raisins work wonders to get close to them. Its been a week and now they come to me to get the bottle.So it is a game of patience. :)

3. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I have a six week old doe kid that I am feeding now too. I sold her mom and brother last week at the sale in Coffevillie KS. When they are ready to eat they will take the bottle. Put your thumb in the side of there mouth and open while putting the nipple in. They will try to spit it out until the taste the milk. Now I have a kid under my feet all the time.
    Blessings, Jim

4. robmiap

robmiap Member

how sad. I hope you get the parasites taken care of . Our babies were allowed to nurse for about a week when we got them. Have patience. Here are just a few things we did that worked. have a schedule, I don't know what type of goats you have, we have pygmies. But I feed 4-5 times a day. 3-5oz. each time. Fiascofarm.com has bottle feeding schedules. keep the milk very warm, and I rubbed their little jaws to create the sucking motion. The more grain and hay I left for them the less milk they took, so watch that. I also added a little kayro syrup(vet said)to get them to drink it. now they come running, and actually look like their getting plenty to eat. Good luck. Mia in IN

5. robmiap

robmiap Member

I forgot this earlier, we added just a bit of kayro syrup to their milk, they like the sweetness, we just decreased it over time, that's probably one of the main reasons they liked it so well. blessings Mia in IN

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Golden blend might be okay for a small infestation but you need something heavy duty for the kind of full out parasite assault that is apparently afflicting your herd. Ivomec certainly a better choice. Was the vet specific on what you're dealing with? As for taking the bottle, it can take several days. I had a doe kid I started late and although she takes it now and drinks, it's not all that enthusiastic. Make sure enough milk can easily get through the nipple and rub the kid's rear end to stimulate sucking. So very sorry for your loss.

7. jwcinpk

Went to the barn this morning to try again, but no luck. They fight me every step of the way. Their little bellies are all pooched out just like always. Think it's possible they could be stealing drinks from the other herd moms? They won't stay in their pen, they find a way out and go right in with the others. The others seem to accept them just fine. They are eating grain. At what age can you wean them?

8. oberhaslikid

Hi, I wouldnt ween any sooner than 8 weeks IMO. They could be stealing a suck but moms usually catch on and walk off.I catch the kid and straddle them between my legs and put a hand under their chin and take the thumb and first finger in the sides of the mouth and stick the nipple in their mouth and squeeze gently the milk into their mouth and they usually fight it untill they figure it out and they swallow and realize that its milk.Then they will suck on their own,When they suck on their own then i let go from under their chin.After a few days or a few feedings they catch on and come to you for the bottle.It does take patience though.

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

This has just been covered on the Sheep forum too.

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If their bellies feel full, and they're not hungry, then it's likely they've found another doe who will let them nurse. It does happen.

11. jwcinpk

This morning they were starting to look thin, so I tried extra hard to be patient and finally they got the hang of it. I gave them 4 ozs each this morning and 6 ozs each this evening. Too much or not enough? Sav A Kid.

12. oberhaslikid

Depends on if they are small goats or full size milk goats.I feed mine a 20 oz. bottle but they are full size goat babies.What kind are they?If they are pygmes that souds right.

13. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

What I do is I give them as much as they want of a 20oz bottle but no more than a 20oz bottle and I feed them three times a day the first month then I drop it down to 2 times a day during the second month then then during the third month they get one bottle a day then they get weaned at 3 months of age. But thats how I do it. I sometimes even have them on the bottle past three months if they are small. Patience is the biggest thing with these little guys. Like I said I would let them each have a 20oz pop bottle and let them drink as much as they want but no more than 20oz a feeding.

MotherClucker