Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go again.....I am on my way to pick up 1 of a set of tripletts that Mom won't take care of. What do I need to get it off to a healthy start ??? What to feed ? Cows milk ? Cayro syrup, Crash course needed in baby goat lol....thanks again Leslie

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Just regular whole cows milk. No need to add anything.

How old are they?

When ours hit about 2 weeks we leave out hay and water free choice - they may or may not eat it, but it's good to keep it around.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Yep, just store bought regular whole cows milk, don't heat above 103 degrees as a baby with a scalded mouth won't eat. better too cold than too hot. No additives needed as far as corn syrup or anything, that won't do the belly any good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am only getting the 1 it is just a couple days old but the triplets are driving Mom crazy so 1 has to go, I got a nipple from the feed store today but I have read where some just try it in a bucket what is the better way to ya'll ?
Leslie

·
Premium Member
15,705 Posts
Some people also open up the nipple with an X cut if there is a problem.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
but I have read where some just try it in a bucket what is the better way to ya'll ?
In one of my goat books, it says that bottle is better, because the kid stretches its neck out to feed, and the milk ends up in the "right" stomach (abomasum, I think) instead of the rumen. I bottle-fed my little one this year, and she's done really well (except for breaking her leg this week, but that's nothing to do with feeding :rolleyes: ), no tummy troubles at all.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Just one kid, or a couple or three...use bottles. I would anyway.

How is the kid today?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Store bought milk works great, and I have found that the human baby bottles with an X cut in the nipple work great and are cheaper than the actual goat nipples. Hope the baby does well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got him today....he keeps on hollering, I have him in with my 3 week old, but the 3 week old keeps butting him, Is that normal. I tried the bottle and he wouldn't suck, he had just come from Mama so maybe he wasn't hungry any ideas would be greatly appreciated on the proper way to bottle feed....he is sooooooo cute and tiny.....Thanks ya'll
Leslie

·
Premium Member
15,705 Posts
I just read something similar about the height of the bottle. It said that if the nipple is too high it can lead to potbellied goats that don't do well??????????

Some people feed the kid under their knee to simulate the doe or cover the eyes and then tickle the base of the tail like a doe might.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
It is normal for the 3 week old kid to butt the new kid. Goats butt the newcomers to establish dominance in the herd. There isn't too much of an age difference that it should cause any problems. They should be buddies soon. If the kid just sucked off his dam before you brought him home, he probably wasn't hungry yet. When he gets hungry, he should accept the bottle with a little work on your part. I use a pritchard nipple on a pop bottle for really young kids. Are you botttle feeding the 3 week old?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 3 week old was weaned, he eats hay and pellets and is doing great. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again.
Leslie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mis typed he is 3 months old.......the baby is eating about 5 to 6 oz. 3 times a day......He is sooooo cute.
Thanks Leslie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts