Getting a pup

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Oct 21, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Well...since our beloved Flirt died we decided to get another dog..sounds harsh I know but I miss her and so does my family..she was my moms dog so my mom decided to get another pup. We will be getting the pup by at least next week but hopefully sooner..like this weekend sooner :rolleyes: :haha: . My family and I haven't had a puppy in like 3 years :rolleyes: :eek: ..so heaven help us!

MotherClucker

2. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

Congrats!!!! i am happy for you. What kind of dog is it. Good luck
    Lyn

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

If you are going to get a purbred dont rush to get the first pup you see. I lost a dog this week to , but he will be hard to replace. He was a GSD straight from Germany and had his sch3 title. I cannot afford to import one so the search is on. I do not like american lines{sorry folks} lots don't have the genetic testing that they should. Also the temperments aren't what I am used to. When I buy a pup I like to get it at 7 weeks. This is a very important time in a pups life and can mold its whole future. With all your animals you need a dog with a soldid temperment.research and take you time. You do not want the quietest pup from the litter nor do you want the most out going. Hopefully you can find a breeder who does temperment testing. Good luck in your search.

4. GoldenWood Farm

Lol
    we are getting a german shephard...from schutzand lines..we have a dog from the breeder and really really like him a ton so we are getting another pup from him..my mom has wanted to get another pup from him for a while so now is our chance. He has a great litter right now that is line breed on our male dog's father. So we are excited to be getting one. We have had puppys around our place since I was 7 so I know how to handle dogs..I can handle the best of em :haha: . We used to raise guide dogs for the blind pups. We raised I think 4 or 5? Then we had our own 2 dogs plus we got Simon the working dog. My mom trains him and stuff. He is the greatest dog! It will be so much fun to have a puppy around the house. And yes patty I agree with you on the american lines of GSD's...they have just ruined the breed...I think any american bred dogs are horrid looking and don't have very good tempers on the whole from my experiance. All beauty (if you can call it that!) and no brains. Before we got Simon my mom spent a entire year looking around for the right breeder etc. My mom prefers a more tuff dog that is loyal and can protect when needed. I am used to handling hard headed pups so this will be a fun challenge for me since I am helping my mom with this pup. I look forward to getting him! He is a blk and brown who's name is Buck...lol its short for Buckshot. I guess the breeder has great dogs because our older dog Simon his dad was like a GREAT breeder and had a lot of qualitys people wanted or something like that...

MotherClucker
    ps: sorry for rambling on :eek: ..I will get a picture of him when we get him. He is like 10-11 weeks old but John the breeder has been working with him a lot and they already come to their name, are potty trained, are learning sit and down. So the most hard part is done :rolleyes: :haha: .....the pottytraining!

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You are in for a surprise with the pup. They are so active and constantly into something. We hadn't had a pup for many years. We have a Australian shepherd and she is really cute. It is fun to see her trying to herd the goats and not get kicked. The girls and the cats aren't sure what to make of her.

6. Patty0315

I am happy for you , wish I lived closer sounds like a litter I would like to look at. I am trying to control myself and not just jump at getting one. I need the right one otherwise it will not add up to the other great GSD dogs I have had. That would not be fair to a pup. Look forward to seeing apicture.

7. Patty0315

Most not all American dogs could not pass the strick standards set by the Germans for the schutzund title. There butts sit way to low and are not made to do the runs needed. Hips and elbows have suffered. Not to mention the temperments for the bite work. I would never buy an American dog from show lines , working lines I may think about. My dogs from Germany I would trust with my kids lives. That is not to say they are all great , but you do have better odds. I have sitting at my feet a 7 month old Czech puppy that has never been around kids, livestock or in the house. She has been here since 1 today. The kids have played tugged and probally annoyed her , she did nothing but wag her tail. The cows came at her she stood her ground but was not aggressive. She was raised in a kennel. When loose outside she was never more than 3 feet away. These are all traits and brains of a good dog, one that will do what she was bred to do. MC cant wait to see a pic. I will try to post one of my new baby soon.

8. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

Patty
    it sounds like you just might know what your talking about ;) and since MC & you are in agreement, well i'll leave it at that.
    for you & anyone else try this message board there are several folks involved in personal protection & personal protection sport. they could almost certainly lead you to US breeders of Czech, east & west german lines (i can't wait to have to explain this).

http://members.boardhost.com/bandog/

9. Patty0315

Thanks Pops, I have trained for a long time and seen the differences between the countries of origin. In the US they think bigger is better, well its not true when you give up working ablity and mental soundness for size color ect. Other countries require hip , temperment and other testing to get registration papers . Pups must have a tatoo . In the US all you do is send in a paper saying you have a purbred litter , show the parents reg numbers , and you have registered pups. I like a good looking dog as well as the next guy but not without brains and for the dog to be able to do its job. A good sheperd will allow anyone you allow in his or her home and will no the difference when the guest is a threat or not. Dogs are much smarter in some ways than people. I want a dog I don't have to worry about having friends over but also know if someone like my X shows up we are safe. The pup I have was shipped in from czech . I am so impressed with her I am going back today to say I am keeping her and bringing home a 16 month old male from the same kennel in Czech. Mother Clucker keep us posted on how you pup is coming along , email me a pic if you can~ Patty

10. GoldenWood Farm

its my moms pup not mine..well its the familys pup..but it will be my moms more than anybodys if you get my drift. I will only be helping with all the hard stuff :haha: . I will get a picture of Buck as soon as he arrives at our place. Which should be around wednesday of next week.

MotherClucker

11. Patty0315

Well I now have 2 dogs here a 7 month old female and a 16 month old male.Both imported from Czech. The male has very high drives, I hope i can find a training club for schutzhund. He has been started on the sleeve and has basic obedience in him. The female is more a people dog , she is going to make an excellant family protection dog. I am not sure she has it in her for the sport. But she is young and has time. I am still amazed how good they are being seeing they were raised in a kennel. They both helped me moved the cows to the back pasture yesterday.