Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Sunday, I am getting a breeding pair of PBP's. They are three yrs old. The man says they only weigh about 50 lbs a piece. Could this be? Also, how big of a pen do they need? How much does one feed a PBP?

Thanks in Advance

Amanda

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just talked to the man who has them. He feeds them 4 cups of chicken scratch a day. That may be the reason they are on the small side. Can I get them up to where they need to be?

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
I have two PBPs that are adults, weigh about 80lbs maybe. I haven't weighed them, so they may be more. They each get 2 cups per day of PBP food (can be bought at the feed store). Plus a few treats. That sounds like an awful lot of food that man's pigs get, and too much grain besides. Some scratch also has grit (fine sand) in it, I would NOT feed it to my pigs.

I'm no expert myself, but I did read that you should not buy "micro mini" pigs as they are underfed to be kept small and they die an early death because their organs get large while they do not, and it eventually causes death.

Maybe the man has just underestimated their size? My pigs are small looking, but solid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Breeders will also lie about how old they are and before you know it, you have your average size potbellied pig which seems to be about 125-150 pounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts