Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, my bank is going to re-issue me a new card. My son also had some fraudulent transactions on his so he will be issued a new card as well. At 16 he's learned a vaulable lesson. It really freaked him out.

Thankfully I only have one thing tied to mine so it's not a hassle but still....the cost is passed along to us. Just stop, people, ok? Stop stealing credit cards!!! I wish they'd find something better to do and use their awesome hacking skills for the common good. :huh:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..and here's the interesting thing. I use cash and checks 100% of the time. My card replacement is part of a massive clean-house effort because of the Home Depot breach. I used my debit card there ONCE when I had forgotten my checkbook and the total was more than the amount of cash I had. This was sometime over the summer.

I never use my credit card and for the past 6 months have not used my debit card except for that ONE time. Grr...

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My sister just found a $370 charge on her cr crd that wasn't hers. She's going thru the same hassle and suspects it also came from the HomeDepot hacking.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's too bad Ninny. But it's good she pays attention to her statements.

I was at the grocery store the other day, writing out a check. The older lady behind me chuckled as she pulled out her wallet and said , "Checks? What a hassle and so old fashioned." I didn't say anything because I was in a bad mood but it beats the hassle of dealing with cc fraud.

It does take an extra step to go to the ATM and I have gone through so many checks lately. Thankfully all the stores I shop at still take checks. Not sure how much longer this will last, as I expect more and more people to be going that route after being fed up. I also can't remember the last time I ordered anything online. I just don't want to use either card any more. I have closed my ebay account. I still have Paypal but it's linked to the debit card that is now going to be invalid. This is the only thing I have linked to it. I'll let that rest for a while as I don't plan to use paypal in the near future.

So, brick and mortar stores it is, paying with cash. Might as well get a horse and buggy to go with it. :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Similar story here - Thanksgiving 2013 at Target and it's snowballed for us, even though we've been using CC less and less as the months go on, and for me, now not at all..

My son had about $200 taken. To a 16-year-old kid, that's a lot of money earned from sweat and hard work. It's a shame. It will be reimbursed, but still.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Just talked to my sister. She talked to her credit union where the card was issued from and they told her that these credit card fraud attacks are coming out of Mexico and are being done by ISIS. Girl told her that there were massive debit and credit card attacks taking place.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Jax-mom, I too AM FED UP! I had memorized my VISA # as had it for over 10 years. Then we got hit on Black Friday when I took all the kids shopping for Christmas (we do this every year and love the craziness, and are done by NOON).

SO VISA issued a new card, and Target is paying to monitor our credit. Then Last WEEK HOME DEPOT hit and we got another new VISA! 2 in 7 months after 10 years with no problem. I would go back to cash and checks but my family and DH's live in AZ and FL and so we have a Marriott card so our hotel stays are free when visiting. We also have my Mom come each year and as a treat take her to at least one hotel and use the points for that. We get about 10 free days per year based on charging everything.

But I am also so sick of this.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I had no idea a business needed to pay insurance. Personally I have no problem with a cash-only business if I know ahead of time. I think it's a smart move on your part.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, but I feel at this point the risks are fewer. I also have one of those special pens. I know nothing is 100% safe. When at all possible I use cash, usually if my total is $100 or less.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL. But yeah, I get it. Every time I shop they ask "do you have your xxx card"? and when I say no, they sometimes badger me into getting one. One was so persistent that I went into a gentle tirade about tracking. At Target, if they're not bugging me to open a Target charge account...save 5%!!! Woo!! , they're asking me to use cartwheel. No, no and no. I always give my pat response, "sorry, my privacy is not for sale". Some get it, some don't.

Anyway, off my soapbox.

Here's that pen I was talking about: http://secure.checksinthemail.com/product.aspx?productid=1642

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Credit cards are gone but I do have debit card. Lately I've been just using cash. It's secure and leaves no paper trail. The kind of underwear I buy is my business.
I use a debit card and have one CC for Online purchases because CC's are better to use for online purchases than a debit card. Don't care if 'they' and who are THEY that track you? If there is something like that going on they must have a huge file on me, but one thing about it nothing theyare keeping or whatever has stopped me from living the way I want to, go where I want to, see what I want to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts