Getting a cow accustomed to a stanchion

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Aug 15, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well, in a few more hours, I'll have stanchions set up in my barn, now the question is, what the heck do I do with 'em?

Has anybody re-trained a parlor-milked cow to a stanchion? (I hear it's quite a struggle getting stanchion-milked cows to understand the whole parlor concept; I'm hoping it's easier the other way around!) :confused:

Also, any tips for preparing new heifers? (I assume if I start putting my 4-month-old heifer in a stanchion occasionally, it will greatly expedite matters later on when she is a momma!)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Things go a lot smoother if there is a feed box in front of the stanchion to give them something to do while they are finding out they are tied in there. They might throw a little coniptchion the first time or two, but they learn to accept it pretty quickly.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yes, I had planned to use grain to lure them in! Heh heh!

These are smart cows, though, and I figure there's no way I can be too prepared ...

4. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

It doesn't take all that long. I would say have a feed dish on the other side of ths stanchion so they have to stick their heads in to eat. Feed them their grain in there every day and after a few days start locking them in place. They get used to it fast and its a rare cow that can resist the temptation of grain.

The heifer I would do the same as the cow, feed her in the stanchion daily, so that she is used to coming in at a certain time and being locked in. This would also be a good time to start working on getting her comfortable with having her udder, legs, and teats touched, if she is a future milk cow.