getting a companion rabbit..need advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by blindhen, Oct 5, 2005.

1. blindhen

blindhen Member

we have one mail lonely bunny. winter is coming and we'd like to get him a pal to cuddle up with. anyone have any advice? i'd rather not have baby bunnies but i don't know if it's a good idea to get a male friend for him or not? any help is much appreciated.

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

You will either have to neuter your buck and get a doe or get a spayed doe, which may or may not work out, depending on how well the doe takes to being constantly mounted. Besides, spaying a doe can be expensive. It cost $608 to spay my ordinary 4 and $170 to spay Roxy (fav. bunny, we wanted someone monitoring the anesthesia). A buck rabbit costs about $50 to neuter. Depending on where you live, the local shelter may have spayed females available for $50, if you don't wish to neuter him. If you put him with another buck, they could kill each other, they definately couldn't be put in the same cage.

3. blindhen

blindhen Member

wow..i'm glad i asked! thanks for letting me know. if we do go ahead and get an upspaid female how frequently should we expect to have babies? i just don't want to get in over my head!

4. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

If you put an unspayed female in with him, you should expect to have LOTS OF BABIES. A female rabbit can have 6-8 litters per year. At about 5 babies per litter, you could have 30-40 babies per year. Of course if your babies start having babies....

Male rabbits are generally solitary animals. That is why they will fight any other rabbit that they can't mate with. You may think he is lonely but it is more likely that he is just bored. Try putting a toy or some other interesting item in the cage to see if he perks up. Even something as simple as an empty fruit or vegetable can should give him something different to keep him from getting bored. Just be sure it isn't anything that could injure him. I have fount with my other pets that it is better to give them one toy and let them play with that until they are bored with it and then give them another toy.

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

It would be MUCH MUCH cheaper to fix a bunny then to let them have babies. Unless you're going to kill the offspring, you'll have a hard time finding homes for all those bunnies, you certainly won't be able to sell them all right when they're weaned, which means you'll have to pay to feed and house all those babies before they find homes.
    http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

A male rabbit's main goal in life is to reproduce. That's all that's on their mind, 24/7. Neutering him will elimanate that an allow your bunny to have a female friend, without the babies. I disagree that males are loners, as in a warren they all live together, and even an unneutered buck will cuddle with his doe. A friend occupies the bunny for the whole day, they don't get bored of other rabbits.

6. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Blindhen;

Save your money. The rabbit doesnt need a cuddle buddy. If he hasn't said anything to you all summer, he us used to his solitary life. Get him a nice warm box and fill it with straw. He'll thank you over and over.

7. blindhen

blindhen Member

okay..definately not getting a male for him...definately not getting a female for him to make more and more bunnies with. i can't justify spending money on having him neutered right now but maybe.. for now i'll just make him a cozy winter home and visit lots. thanks for all of the advice

8. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

try a guinea pig.

I have heard that rabbits can catch a respiratory diesease from guinea pigs, however, mine never did.
    And I see rabbits and guinea pigs together all the time in pet stores.