Getting 1st Rabbit tonight!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JackieA, Nov 18, 2004.

1. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Buying my first rabbit (mini-rex) from co-worker, who raises them, tonight. So those of you who have them has pets - do you ever take them for walks - as in having a harnass on and leash? If this is a really stupid question, please tell me so I can delete this! :)
    JackieA

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

They do make the harnesses, I have seen them, and even bought one for my chinchilla, but she was real little at the time and slipped right out of it. :) I don't have any direct experience with it, but I am sure they would enjoy it...

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Hello! Being an owner of 9 pet rabbits, I would be happy to help you out on this. It's not a stupid question! You should get a harness for when they're young, but if you can fit more then one finger in between the harness and the bunny, then it's too loose. Don't take him for a "walk" outside yet. Apparently you can train them to walk on a lead like a dog, but I've never tried it. Mostly, you just go where they go. They love it, as long as they're accustomed to it when they're young, otherwise they seem to think something's "got" them. Have fun with you new bunny!
    Alexandra
    PS. Is the bun going to be a house bunny or an outdoor one? For lots of info on house-bunny keeping, visit www.rabbit.org. It's very pro-house rabbit, but it's got lots of info on feeding, housing, littertraining, walking, etc.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My daughter had pet bunny some years ago that she leash walked. Watch the fit, as has been said...and keep the bunny away from the bushes!!! :eek:

5. JackieA

Thank you all for the info! I will check out the website also. Will get him a harness soon.
    Went to my coworkers house last night way out in the country, and they had sooooooooo many rabbits. Huge ones with floppy ears (kinda mean looking actually) and mini-rexes - probably about 150+ rabbits - it was amazing - something I won't forget!
    My new bunny is adorable and let him walk around the house last night though he had a bit of a problem walking on the hardwoods. I laid a bundled up sheet on the floor and laid on it and he came over and gave me kisses after about 1/2 hour then would walk around come back kiss some more and he would lick my arm and do the same thing over a few times. Didn't think they warmed up that quickly.
    Again, thanks for all the info! JackieA

6. JackieA

Again thanks for the info! Mine will be in the house (except for walks outside)- he has a nice big cage and whole house to run around when I'm home.
    He is just a part of my learning to be a homesteader/country life-live in the city right now. Read the book "Storey's guide to Raising Rabbits" and was hooked, though this book doesn't focus on training them has a pet.
    If all goes well, one day I may raise rabbits to sell has pets and also for meat on the table (sorry if that offends any of you). JackieA

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

That's nice he'll be inside... try and litter train him, it'll make cleaning way easier. For raising a pet, I recommend Rabbits for Dummies, it has lots of info on walking, training, etc. As far as the meat part, that's what this board is for, basically. It would probably be wayyyyy harder to do that though, when you have a house-pet. JMO

8. JackieA

Checked out "Rabbits for Dummies" from our library yesterday - thanks. Think you are right, it is going to be way hard to eventually process ones I raise in the future for food for the table - I'm really loving my rabbit now and that was not the plan!
    JackieA

9. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Hi, JackieA!

I have two mini rex males as pets (got them in October), and they are just the sweetest things! I've never had pet buns before (although all kinds of other critters), and they are too much fun. I'm on the learning curve with them as well, and have thought about the harness thing, but not tried it yet. But now that I have these two boys, I'm thinking they need girlfriends?? Hmmm? They have their own cages, but are let loose together at night and are fine. They're still kinda young though, and I may have to keep them permanently separated eventually. I have a litter box for them, and they are getting really good about going in that one spot. I also have a dog sized x-pen that I've safety wired with hardware cloth, and they have a great time hanging out in it. They stand up on their hind legs when I walk up to it to be picked up, just like dogs!!

So from one new mini rex mom to another - Good luck with your new baby!!

Pam :cool:

HA! Maybe my handle should be 2bunnies instead of 2horses....

10. JackieA

Thanks for replying! So you are ready for babies hun?! My mini-rex (his name is SPOT) is already spoiled I'm afraid. He is in a decent size cage on a card table in the sunroom (no direct light though) and I let him run around in the house/sunroom. Well, when I go to get him food I leave the cage door open and Saturday I hear this "thump" and he left his cage and jumped off the card table! He doesn't like the cage door has it has wider spaces than the bottom of the cage so he doesn't usually walk on it. He does eskimo kisses with me and likes looking out the sliding glass doors. He did however start chewing on the bean bags! Have to admit -love how quiet he is!
    Buying a cage from a friend who no longer has a rabbit - so maybe another buck for me - but holding off on the babies! JackieA

11. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello! No, It's not a dumb question. I've had a harness for my rabbits for years. I use the little leather ones for small dogs...the cord kinds are too easily chewed off! Sometimes I have to cut a piece off the belly strap and shorten it depending on the rabbit's belly size. Then I tie a slight string or hay twine on the place where a leash goes and then let them go! They don't "go for a walk" like a dog does. They are too busy smelling and sampling stuff as they go...they much rather be free in the yard running like they ave a fire on their tail. The harness and string make them much easier to catch! Have fun with your new bunny!
    Ann Mary

12. JackieA

Thanks for the info! Do have a question - my bunny is 6-7 months old - when should I start with the harness? JackieA

13. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, I start mine when they are big enough to reach down and catch easily. Usually around 4 months or so. Also, I have found that when I first start them out, I pet them without picking them up, then they get used to me walking up to them and petting them without picking them up...or they will learn quickly to run when they see you coming because it's catching time! You want them to associate you with petting and attention not being put back in the cage. They will still learn to love the freedom so much they may become hard to catch but the trailing string makes it much easier! It's a real kick to see them playing on the lawn! Enjoy! Ann Mary

14. 2horses

What's funny to me is how mine now come running when I open the door to their playroom (an edifice formerly known as the laundry room :haha: ). And then they stand up on their hind legs and sniff all over me. They let me pick them up just fine, and I'll hold them and hug for a bit, then just set them down again. When I go to put them back in their cages, I just hold 'em, and then set them on my lap, and from there they walk (or hop) in by themselves.

They are just too cool......

Later I'll tell y'all about them getting out this past weekend - as in out of the house! :eek:

15. JackieA

Thanks - mine is already 7 months old so guess I will go ahead and try and see if he will be ok wearing one. Love my bunny more than the dogs I had at one time! Guess we all are just meant to have different kinds of pets. JackieA

16. JackieA

Do tell! JackieA

17. 2horses

Okay Jackie, here goes (sometimes my boys make me feel so silly)...

The playroom that the boys run around in at night, my laundry room, is at the back of my house and has an internal and external door. My house is a wooden frame house, and unfortunately has shifted enough recently that the door to the outside doesn't fully latch. Therefore, I normally wedge it closed for added security when the buns are out to make sure it doesn't open - my dog is quite adept at pushing it open, and I usually wait to let the boys out until we're all in for the night. Well, one night last week, I think it was Wednesday or Thursday, I let the buns run loose but didn't barricade the door - the dog was in, no big deal, I had done this before without issue - everything would be fine, right? No, of course not! I fell asleep on the couch and woke up about 2 AM, when I hear a scratching sound under the house. "That sounds like the bunnies!" I thought as I shot up off the couch. Went to the laundry room, opened the door, and sure enough! The door to the outside is cracked open and the buns are gone! Now, the dog is sound asleep on his bed inside the house - no way he did it! So evidently the wind caught the door just right and blew it open, since there was a storm brewing outside.

So I grab my net (one of them got out once before, thanks to the dog, so I knew I could catch one with it), and I go Elmer Fudding around and around my house, looking for my bunnies. With the house being up on blocks, it makes a great bunny haven underneath, and I knew that was were they went. Sure enough, they come out, I spot 'em, they spot me, I head towards them with my net held high - and back under the house they run. We do this for about thirty minutes, and it begins to dawn on me (as the lightning crackles overhead) that I'm not getting anywhere with these boys and as a matter of fact, they're having great fun leading me in these merry chases! Well, I noticed that on several occasions that when they came out, they headed for a part of my yard where I dump their soiled bedding. So, being an intellligent, thinking woman, and admitting that the bunnies have outsmarted me thus far, I come up with a plan..... I dismantle the eight panel x-pen I have set up for them in another part of the yard and carry it over to the soiled bedding area. My plan is to set it back up, leave one panel open, and then somehow herd them into it - setting a trap, so to speak. So I begin to reassemble it.... now, this was not an easy task to do at three in the morning, mind you, with the storm brewing, the wind blowing, trying to hold a flashlight - I'm sure you get the picture...

Well, I'm so intent on putting this thing together, and trying to think of how I'll get them out from under the house, etc., that I'm really not paying too much attention to what's going on around me. So when I'm finally done, I look up, and there they are - about three feet away, sitting side by side, watching me! So I calmly step aside, and they proceed to hop over to the pen, sniff around the open panel, and then just walk right in - like they had been waiting for me to finish so they could go investigate!! I closed the panel behind them, and viola'! bunnies are caught. My plan worked!!

But it was just hysterical to me that they came to watch what I was doing, when I was so busy worrying about how I was going to get them over there! I laughed so hard at them, myself, the idea of chasing bunnies around (and around and around) the house at three in the morning... the whole thing was just too humorous to me! Well, once they were caught it was, anyway....

So here's to funny bunnies!!

18. JackieA

[QUOTE=2horses]
    But it was just hysterical to me that they came to watch what I was doing, when I was so busy worrying about how I was going to get them over there! I laughed so hard at them, myself, the idea of chasing bunnies around (and around and around) the house at three in the morning... the whole thing was just too humorous to me! Well, once they were caught it was, anyway....

So here's to funny bunnies!!

Pam :cool:[/QUOTE]

Pam - that is way too funny!!! I think I may get another one next month now so they can play together. Never though about a net - may have to pick one of those up also.
    Thanks for making my day! JackieA