Get the catalogs out!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Dec 29, 2003.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

The last of the Christmas company left this morning.
    Time to get down to some serious seed catalog reading!

Do you tend to order mostly from companies within your own zone?
    Does your success rate lessen if you don't?

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We ordered from Pinetree and were pleased. The shipping fees were reasonable.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We order from 5-10 different sources, and I have wondered about the zone thing. It never seems to make much difference, although I do see it varies from catalog to catalog which zones they think some things can thrive in. Just ordered from Seeds of Change for the first time and noticed they claim a great many things will be hardy in my zone that companies from my zone don't say is hardy. Noticed the same thing with Starks. It gets to be a problem when selecting fruit trees etc. as they are expensive and sad to lose. I do tend to go with what companies from my own zone say about hardiness.

Love Pinetree.....the bulk of my seed order this year came from them. I have been doing the "Flylady" thing now for over a year and have my seed orders in and mostly back already. I am so organized I don't know who I am any more!!!

4. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Dh went to the post office yesterday and our box was full of them!!! :D

I usually order based on varieties available and not necessarily what zone they are in. I've been partial to Johnny's lately. For perennials, shrubs and fruit trees I have learned to be skeptical of hype about hardiness. I would be more likely to buy those types of plants directly from a local nursery. I'm in Zone 3 and my location tends to be a few degrees colder than surrounding areas.

Has anyone received a catalog from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds or Sand Hill Preservation yet?

5. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Haven't seend Baker Creek yet and Sand Hill is a the printers to be mailed Jan 15