Get rebuilt parts tested before exiting the supply houses

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Oct 16, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of lying on a grocery store parking lot to change out a defective rebuilt starter for an older pick up truck. A $43.00 purchase, it worked twice then went downhill quickly, would not respond to any treatment.

Do not take anything from a parts house that is not tested before your eyes as far as 'rebuilt' goes. Make them display that the item works correctly.

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

good advice. ive worked in them for about 15 years. i would add that i would also ask they test the new one as well. there are so many places to buy from ie Auto ZOne Advance Oreillys etc if they refuse tell the manager your going somewhere else.

Fact is when most things like alternators etc are rebuilt only the defective part is replaced. If they get a alternator core and the only defective part is the voltage regulator they do not change the diode or brushs just the regulator. So your buying them with these parts already partially worn out Get the one that is listed as having been completely rebuilt all new parts or buy the brand new one to begin with. Most times the price is close to begin with.

Also have things like ignition control modules etc tested before you leave.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

learned that lesson 25 years ago! walked 3 miles too the autoparts store with the old starter then back too the truck with a nonfuntional starter, then back too the autoparts store. they then drove me back too my truck and waited till it started, would have driven me there the first time too but i was stubborn! :rolleyes:

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I always check thermostats when I get them home, too, and find that maybe one out of 5 are no good, new out of the box.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I had a dealer t'stat go bad on me once. About a week later, my head gasket blew. The dealer wouldn't even reimburse me for the bad t'stat. Then again, the 'service' department at this partucular dealer is pretty much worthless...

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Thers A rebuild place near us ,And the Owner .Puts new parts into the starters and altenators. .His goal is 100% customer satifaction. He has the test benches in the open, And you can watch them rebuild your core if you want.

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have seen locally owned shops like this all over the country. I believe every town actually has one. I have seen people I knew were in a bad money situation walk out of my store with a 120 dollar alternator when I just told them to tak e it to Davis and he could have em ready to go in half an hour and about 50 dollars.

Most average people can rebuilt it themselves if they wanted to. It is nothing to put brushs etc in an alternator and you can buy the parts to do it right where you get the alternators.

You can rebuild most GM and Ford alternators yourself for about fifteen bucks or less in 30 minutes or less

8. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

it wouldnt do much good because as you said it worked twice before it died, and that tells me it would have worked if they test ran it at the parts store before you took it.

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

this kind of advice can cost you or someone els money, and time. If you dontknow how to check the feild, and armature you arent going to fix diddley. If it is old enough to need brushes it is cheap insurance to put bearings in it. Without a bearing puller, and a press you are going to have a hard time changing the bearings. You might go to town, buy some brushes drive home, put them in, and it still may not work, or it may work for a month then the regulator might die, or a bearing might lock up, and ruin a $30 serpentine belt.

I am in business because home owners think they can just throw a set of brushes in a tool, and fix it. When they find out they cant they tear it all down, bring it to me in a basket, and expect me to tell them for free how to fix it. They not only have the time and gas money in it to get the parts they thoght it needed, but now they have the gas money, and time to bring it to me, then my parts and labor too.

Unless you know what you are doing it is cheaper in the long run to have a dependable rebuild shop do it in the first place. You will get a garentee, and I dontknow about other shops, but if someone has to come back to me because I made a mistake I give them gas money for their trouble.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I once wholesaled rebuilt alts. and starters.They were very good products with RARE failures off the shelf.

Not to say I myself didnt get THREE inadequate starters IN A ROW and from different remanufacturers,so it does happen.

Guess a lot has to do with the quality of the rebuilder.

BooBoo