Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Posted 3/2/21 1:09 AM CST

I have "joined " Gun Owners of America twice since 2017 as a one year member. Both times their rep accepted my membership fee and told me to expect my membership package and first newsletter within 30 days.

I joined via phone in March 2017 and got nothing but a run around in two phone calls during the year.

In April 2018, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that my earlier membership went into a keypunch SNAFU and joined for a year again and once again never got the promised membership package or 2nd Amendment newsletter and called them once with the same excuse that I wasn't in their data base.

Both memberships cost me $25 of my extra money and I hope the $50 they got out of me funded their lobbying effort but until I get a membership package or newsletter from them, as mentioned above , I will hold my nose over the NRA's shortcomings in my opinion as I renew my NRA membership yearly since the NRA is the organization our opponents fear the most and the indoor range i go to most offers a small discount to NRA members for range time.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Posted 3/2/21 1:09 AM CST

I have "joined " Gun Owners of America twice since 2017 as a one year member. Both times their rep accepted my membership fee and told me to expect my membership package and first newsletter within 30 days.

I joined via phone in March 2017 and got nothing but a run around in two phone calls during the year.

In April 2018, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that my earlier membership went into a keypunch SNAFU and joined for a year again and once again never got the promised membership package or 2nd Amendment newsletter and called them once with the same excuse that I wasn't in their data base.

Both memberships cost me $25 of my extra money and I hope the $50 they got out of me funded their lobbying effort but until I get a membership package or newsletter from them, as mentioned above , I will hold my nose over the NRA's shortcomings in my opinion as I renew my NRA membership yearly since the NRA is the organization our opponents fear the most and the indoor range i go to most offers a small discount to NRA members for range time.
I’m with you on the shooting/range activities of the NRA. Most of my involvement with the NRA comes from partnering on the LE training programs they do.

Their youth and range programs are great as well.

Looking at the history of the NRA, those sorts of functions are core to their charter. The lobby side (ILA) came later, and the NRA’s actions in the legislative realm have been overwhelmingly anti-patriot, anti-2A.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Posted 3/2/21 6:38 PM CST

GunMonkeyIntl,

The things about the NRA that make me hold my nose when renewing are that as I have worked my yearly member dues into my budget and repeatedly tell them when I renew that I only want communication from them via the 1st freedom magazine, they still cold call me to early renew a month after I renew, donate to the ILA even though part of my dues is channeled to that arm of the organization as portions go to youth hunter / gun safety programs and such, but they still burn my phone up trying to shake more cash out of me.

I renewed in November for 2021 and since they have tried shaking more cash out of me with 11 calls to early renew or buy an out of my budget lifetime NRA membership.

The last time they called trying to peddle me a lifetime membership for $900, I reminded the telemarketer that I have been an annual member for 41years and on my budget that is the only way I can support them and to please stop sending me the Made in China cheap promo gifts that I toss in the trash anyway and use the savings they waste on promo junk to me as my extra contribution.

I also told the rep not to keep pushing over my budget lifetime membership at me as the folks I know who have gotten lifetime memberships don't get any special deals over annual members and still get shake down for more cash calls as those of us who pay by the year.

The idea of the NRA Wine of the Month Club is odd to me because that is sort of mixing firearms and booze.

In the 1990s when I could afford it, I paid the fee to become certified as our club range safety officer and then as now was an annual member and contending with the 2nd Amendment attacks from the Clintons as we are now cotending with the current 2nd Amendment opposition.

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
I pay the NRA because to be a member of the one club I belong to it is a requirement.

I don't answer the phone any more any way so the calls are not a big bother like they used to be

also to keep my NRA RSO certification I will be paying them one way or another.
as my kids graduate and I get a little more time I plan to pick up a few more certifications and teach some classes.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
non compliance , is likely the way it will go , already going that way in a lot of places they think the NY safe act has about 5% compliance several years into it
Yep.
Don't ever ask for permission to engage in your Constitutionally protected rights.

Reactions: John B.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
You talked me into it. Just joined Gun Owners of America.
Have been a lifetime NRA member for a long time.
Just happened upon your post from a few months ago. I took the same path you have chosen - dumped my NRA membership and joined Gun Owners of America. Like so many before me, I've seen the lukewarm efforts of NRA to do anything actually meaningful toward protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts