1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
non compliance , is likely the way it will go , already going that way in a lot of places they think the NY safe act has about 5% compliance several years into it

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
If all we do is act tough and ***** we are screwed.
Join the NRA.
Join your local or regional gun advocacy groups.
Make phone calls to representatives.
WRITE letters. They carry a lot of weight.
Give $$$$ to political candidates who support the Second Amendment.
This is war.
If you don't have the guts to fight it do is all a favor and shut the hell up.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
The method to take your guns is already in place. Background checks. No one objects to keeping guns out of the hands of nuts. But bit by bit, the restrictions expand. Maybe an assault charge. Maybe an ex-wide's claim of mental abuse. When they take guns from your oddball cousin or the neighbor you know nothing about, we assume they had good reason. Until they determine something in your past is reason enough. There'll be no one left to stick up for you. Seems Biden and the Democrats are all shook up about White Supremacists. It is likely some of the Bozos that broke into the Capitol were White Supremacists or wanna bees. Biden made the connection last week, be alert for ex-Military being part of a White Supremacist groups. So since when is military service a warning sign? It is to the Democrats. The criteria in a background isn't something you'll get to vote on and you have zero control over what is reason enough to take your guns. Those without guns won't care your guns were taken and those remaining with guns won't want to put their gun ownership at risk by sticking up for you.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Can the NRA fight for our rights when they are bankrupt?
Yes. Their bankruptcy is a financial restructuring, and as much a ploy to get their operation moved to another state and out of the line of fire of the NY AG.

The more relevant question is “does the NRA fight for our rights”?
The answer is ‘no’.
No, they do not.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
The NRA has it's problems, but, they are the biggest show in town.
I'm a member
I hold my nose sometimes when I renew but I also look at the big picture.
I remember when Cuomo forced through the SAFE act in NY.
We had a big protest rally in Albany.
It was interesting that Ted Nugent who as I understand was later on the NRA's board of directors said he would speak at the rally but he wanted $50,000 and s private plane.
Donald Trump showed up and spoke.
Didn't cost us anything.
That was when I lost all respect for good old Ted.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The NRA has it's problems, but, they are the biggest show in town.
I'm a member
I hold my nose sometimes when I renew but I also look at the big picture.
I remember when Cuomo forced through the SAFE act in NY.
We had a big protest rally in Albany.
It was interesting that Ted Nugent who as I understand was later on the NRA's board of directors said he would speak at the rally but he wanted $50,000 and s private plane.
Donald Trump showed up and spoke.
Didn't cost us anything.
That was when I lost all respect for good old Ted.
I’m a member, too. I put a couple thousand dollars worth of money and time into the NRA every year, but it’s not in support of the NRA. It’s in support of the NRA’s supporters. I’ve met with most of the suits, and even once had dinner, in a party of six, with Wayne LaPierre. I end up having more to do with the NRA than I’d like to admit. I liken it to helping out a family member with an abusive spouse.

The salient fact is that the NRA has been in support of (with only a few notable exceptions) every major federal-level infringement of the 2nd amendment since their inception- including the ‘34 NFA and the ‘68 GCA. Most recently, they supported the regulatory bump stock ban. Bump stocks are likely of very little interest to anyone here, and I certainly have no interest, but we should all be interested in how they were made to go away.

Trump and the ATF (with the NRA’s vocal support) achieved a regulatory ban on the bump stock by deeming them to be machine guns. “Machine gun” has a very specific legal definition, of which a bump stock does not even remotely meet, nor does an open-bolt semi-auto, but both were banned by deeming. The bump stock deemed because it allowed an effect (not a function) similar to a machine gun, and the open-bolt semi-auto because of how easily it could be converted to meet the legal definition of a MG. Put the two precedents together, and we’re one unfriendly executive action away from all semi-autos being deemed “machine guns”- no legislation required.

Of course, being deemed a “machine gun” wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the NRA-backed NFA that regulated them, and the NRA-backed Hughes Amendment which banned any more being sold to peasants after 1986.

The NRA always has, and always will only care about the tweed-jacket wearing, fine English double-gun stroking, planted pheasant hunting gun owners with deep bank accounts. Beyond demographic plays to bring in your paltry membership dues, they don’t care about your right to defend yourself from criminals or tyrants.

The NRA is not your friend.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
You know them when you see them.

My take is that it is not the Fudds, and it is not the armchair delta-force cosplayers. Our friends are the ones in the middle who own guns out of a sense of self-reliance, but know why we have the Right in the first place. They’re unassuming, but well-informed and ready.

If you mean organizations; look into SAF and GOA and see what you think. I personally think they stand a better line and do more with the money we send them. If they had half of just what the NRA has wasted, the landscape would look very different than it does.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
GOA - Gun Owners of America - gunowners.org

SAF - Second Amendment Foundation - saf.org

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Do not count on leaders and elected representatives to understand or even be familiar with the constitution or the bill of rights. We are engaged in a board game where the players can choose to play within the rules, or not.
Continuing to believe "They can't do this" and "The courts will never allow it" is to believe "They" even care.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Do not count on leaders and elected representatives to understand or even be familiar with the constitution or the bill of rights. We are engaged in a board game where the players can choose to play within the rules, or not.
Continuing to believe "They can't do this" and "The courts will never allow it" is to believe "They" even care.
Excellent statement.

Reactions: Cornhusker

·
Registered
1 Posts

Direct from the White House, Biden's message about gun control.
Congress just might have the votes to back national legislation this time around.
You know them when you see them.

My take is that it is not the Fudds, and it is not the armchair delta-force cosplayers. Our friends are the ones in the middle who own guns out of a sense of self-reliance, but know why we have the Right in the first place. They’re unassuming, but well-informed and ready.

If you mean organizations; look into SAF and GOA and see what you think. I personally think they stand a better line and do more with the money we send them. If they had half of just what the NRA has wasted, the landscape would look very different than it does.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I don't belong to the NRA. I've always felt that they weren't really trying to protect my second amendment rights. If they ever succeed in stopping all gun control us peons would stop sending in our quarters. The NRA would lose the power they now have and the big fat salaries they enjoy. They have a vested interest in keeping the controversy going instead of winning the war. I do believe that all gun laws infringe on my second amendment rights and could be abolished by the courts they were actually challenged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts