Gestation Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Aug 3, 2004.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I think my little guy may have hit his target with one of my girls. Does anyone know of a website that has pictures or drawings of goats in utero at different weeks of gestation? Also, when should I be able to detect a distinquishable heartbeat? This is my first year breeding goats and gosh I'm excited! I've even got a list of registration names already.

Ruth

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Goats are all different. We had a yearling last year who never showed until her last month.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

4. BigSkyBoerGoats

BigSkyBoerGoats Member

The best thing to do is get as close to the bred date as possible then it will be approximately 5 months until the kids drop. A tell tell sign towards the end of the pregnancy is that strings of mucous will start coming out of their birth canal. The longer the string of mucous the closer to birth. When it gets to about 1 ft long or so expect the babies very soon. That has worked for me. When it gets to that point I place my does in a pen by themselves. Our buck is a night owl when it comes to breeding. We rarely see him on a doe. So I usually have a rough idea of the due dates. Monitoring the mucous from the birth canal always gets me within 2-3 days of birth.

Jason
    wwwBIGSKYBOERGOATS.com