gerry-rigging a 3 bar engine support?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dalilies, Aug 4, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

We have a '96 windstar that has a bad bearing where the axle goes in. Sorry, I don't know the tec terms for it all. That is Hubby's area. Our Haynes manual has all kinds of warnings about how this is not a job that can be done with jack stands. A 3 bar engine support fixture and transaxle jack is needed.

Hubby is going to attempt it without the special jacks and supports. It scares the beegees out of me. He read where a guy used a 4x4 to support the engine and that encouraged him. Does anyone have experience working on Windstar's transmissions? Am I overreacting or should I throw a fit about him raising the van and dropping the subframe and transmission out without proper tools?

Any guidance from someone how has been there done that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The "bad bearing where the axle goes in" depends on where the axle goes in to? If the bearing is at the wheel you don't have to support anything all you have to do is remove the hub or the whole strut. If the bearing is inside the trans and you are removing the trans yes you will have to support the engine during removal. I have rigged to remove trans before and it's just a case of how good you are at rigging. There are times where I've soiled my linens but luckily retained all of my digits when things went wrong.
    I personally wouldn't attempt to remove a Windstar trans on jack stands and on my back. I've removed trans from Ford Taurus' and they are no pleasure and that was on a lift with all the proper supports and air tools.

3. dalilies

Thanks for the reply Beeman.

It is the bearing inside the transmission. I'm not sure it is a good idea from all that I've seen. Especially since best case scenerio, I would have to wash any soiled linens from a close call and clean up any mess and find the missing digits in a worse case. Yikes!

If anyone has any advise that would make the going easier, I'll pass it along. He is getting that "I'm got it all figured out and am going to do it no matter what you say." look in his eye. I hate playing the good wife, waiting patiently with my finger on the 911 speed dial button. :stars:

Jennifer

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

He does no he can rent a hoist right? Used to be around $35 a day.Much cheaper than hospital bill will be to reattach the missing digits. :rolleyes:

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I agree completely!
    In my 20+ years of wrench turning (including some time at a Ford dealership), I've done my share of front-wheel-drives. There's no way I'd ever try to remove a Windstar trans having only jack stands. It's NOT a job for an amateur.

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

i think one could easly make one out of 1 1/2" square tubing and some all thread,(rod that is threaded ) to make J hooks out of, or use the 4x4 and the all thread and make a j hook to supend the engine from,'

but on E bay you can by a buy it now for $71 and the start on them are a lot lower, (yes it is a chinese made unit but would probly work for your low use needs)

put in Transverse Engine Support and click on the box for searching Search title and description.
    or look at auction for an example
    there are a number of buy it nows,
    check out the shiping some seems like many are a little high,

I see some of the OTC ones have gone for under $50, (oct is acompany that makes a lot of specitaly tools for car dealerships,

7. dalilies

Thanks farminghandyman. I'll start pushing to buy one. It is either he does the transmission or we haul it to the junk yard. The van isn't worth what a shop would charge and right now we can't replace it.

Hubby was a jet engine machanic in the Air Force and has done all of our work over the years. I have no doubt that he is capable of doing the job, I'm just worried about him getting hurt since he has to drop out the subframe before he can remove the transmission.

He doesn't want to rent the right stuff because he knows it will take him a while to get it done and doesn't want to rush it. He is very precise and doesn't like to hurry a job. It may take a couple weeks because he will only be able to do it around everything else that has to be done. Isn't it great how life keeps ya on your toes.

Jennifer