German Shepherds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dot, Nov 23, 2004.

1. dot

dot Well-Known Member

We had to have our mixed Lab put to sleep not long ago and we have decided we want a full blood german shepherd for our next dog. My kids had one when they were little and it was a great pet. Can't remember where it came from but I'm sure we didn't pay for it. Never had any of the hip problems that we were aware of. Is it possible to get a full blood puppy without paying a bundle for it and have a healthy dog? I've been checking all the animal shelters in this area and haven't found any. Did find one on line for $600. :eek: Anyone have any suggestions on prices and how to pick out a good dog? Should it be registered? Thanks!

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I would recommend doing a little online digging and looking for a German Shepherd breed rescue. Perhaps if you look for their national breed club, you could find a link on their site for rescue? If not, you could contact someone from their website and ask who you would contact about adopting a rescue dog.

Purebred rescue usually has dogs of varying ages - not necessarily puppies, but they occasionally have some - who are all in need of new, loving homes. There is usually an adoption fee, but it's not as high as you might find for purchasing a puppy from a responsible breeder, and it goes toward the feeding and vet care of the dog while they were in rescue, so a good rescue isn't going to be profiting from the money, either. It goes right back to help the dogs.

Adopting a dog from rescue is an excellent idea. :) Just my two cents.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Also contact Leader Dogs for the Blind. The dogs that don't make it as guide dogs are put up for adoption. I don't know what the fee is, but I'm sure you'd get a very nice dog.

If you really want a puppy or very young dog, contact breeders. You want a breeder who breeds for soundness and temperment, not show and not for aggression. They very often have puppies that have been returned to them and these older puppies usually sell for much less.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) The word you are lookin for is "Purebred". You have had some very good suggestions here. I would pusue them if that is the way you wish to go. I will say that for the very first time I have a rescue dog. She is from Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue and like my other dog she is an Aust. Cattle Dog. Like any high focus, high intelligence, high energy dog, they are not for everyone and G. Shepherds are the same.

If you go though a reputable Purebred dog rescue they will check you and your property out very throughly. You will be expected to help solve any issues the dog may have that caused it to be there in the first place. The female dog I took in was considered a difficult dog..she hated strange dogs. And would jump them at the drop of a hat. We are well on our way to making her a real nice dog that gets along with everyone. IT's taken work and time though.

You can get a list of breeders in good standing for your area from the AKC. If you go this direction check each one of them out...look at their show record..In order to show, a dog must be sound. Not just in body but in mind also. Then do some visiting before you get on a waiting list for a puppy. Use this time to educate yourself on the breed..get all of the good books that you can. Make sure you have a good relationship with your veterinarian. The money you pay out for a good purebred dog is the least you will spend on it for it's lifetime.

The Monks of New Skete raise some outstanding G. Shepherds as do a number of other people.

You can get a healthy dog but dogs are like people.Each may have it's own surprises when it comes to health. Just like us.

Good luck with your search...LQ

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have home owners insurance German Shepherds are on the "no no" list. I used to have a cross and they are wonderful protectors. We currently have an expensive full blooded bird dog who is very calm intelligent and loyal and old at 12yo. Our next dog will likely be a herding cross from a shelter. Even expensive dogs are dumb....my neighbors dog is a mutt that will herd my goats when I need her to! All I say is Get'Em Tennesee Girl....but she steals payment from the barn.....any goat treats...carrots apples bread...are all fair game!

6. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Heres a picture of Bailey.

Dec 2001
    [​IMG]

Oct 2004
    [​IMG]

She was bought from http://Jerland.com and cost around $1000. I will say she is the sweetest German Shepard I have come across. She is smart and great with people of all ages. I will say that she does still pee when she gets excited! She has never bitten and was never really properly trained, but seems to understand very well when she is naughty!... You can't go wrong with this breed, if you can find yourself the right dog.

7. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

There is a free-to-me German shepherd resting behind me as I type.

My first GSD was an elderly female retired from breeding. She was about 11 years old, and the breeder gave her to me. One of my current GSDs is now 8 years old, but I got him from the same breeder when he was 18 months old. The poor guy had been abused and the breeder took him back when he found out. It took 6 months before he would wag his tail, but he is my constant, loving companion now.

You might try contacting local breeders. One breeder around here has high strung dogs, and they would not fit in with my quiet household. My 6 year old female (from a woman who was involved with breeding and rescue work) is a "busier" dog than my male, and needs something to do besides following me around. I paid $200 for her and got her when she was 3 years old.

For what its worth, although both these dogs are purebred (the female is a German import), I was not given the AKC papers for either, and I had both neutered/spayed.

Be aware that some breeders are only in it for the money and don't breed their dogs responsibly. I visited one who said it wasn't necessary to x-ray her dogs for displaysia, and she had females giving birth to puppies almost every month of the year. A personal visit can be revealing.

8. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Do a search for the German Shepherd Rescue League. They have lots of wonderful dogs waiting to be adopted and there are leagues throughout the US. We got our male in Houston. He is full blood, but no papers. We made a contribution of $200.

9. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

can't really give you much help w/your search. but we (me & the people i hunt w/) have a saying "papers don't catch a hog."

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a German Shepherd girl given to me by a former neighbor. She originally came from an older couple who gave her away because their health was declining and they were concerned about their ability to care for her.

The people who gave her to me were planning on putting her in the pound. :( She's wonderfully behaved and, according to the latest vet visit, young - 3-4 years old --- she looked so bad when I got her that we thought she was much older.

IOW, don't give up on the pound --- keep watching it while you look.

Check out the German Shepherd breed club of America. Don't have a link but they list lots of breeders there --- good ones whpo are required to sign ethical thingies to be listed. Beware of bad breeders.

And rescue is always a good thing - there's a German Shepherd rescue about 4-5 hours from here which places trained German Shepherds who just won't work out for police or rescue work, for whatever reason.

11. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

You get what you pay for.

If you aren't careful and you buy a dog on the 'cheap' end of the scale you're going to end up with poor health issues and possibly behavioral issues. I've seen it more than once, especially in GSDs and other 'popular' breeds.

I think they are wonderful dogs, but you MUST be educated and prepared. Obedience training is a top priority for any dog and shouldn't be taken lightly, especially with a dog in the size category of GSDs.

If you find a GSD at the pound that's great too, but remember, you don't know the dogs history.

Rescues are great, but a lot of those dogs have problems too, physical and behavioral. Some can't be around children others can't be around other pets and some can't be around either. You're also going to adopt what ever health and training issues these dogs have as well. When you adopt a dog from one of these orgs you have to go through a complex application process and be scruntinized to the wire. Not something I personally would want to do, but I'm not everyone else.

Find a good breeder. Talk to your vet. Save your money.

12. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

According to the breed purists, my German Shepherd never should have been born. She's the result of an unplanned encounter between two German Shepherd pets, neither of which had been spayed or neutered. She doesn't have papers, and she may develop joint problems in her latter years--I don't know. The owners were giving the puppies away.

I advocate spaying or neutering pets, but I have to confess that this little "illegitimate" puppy--now 2 years old--is one of the best things that ever happened to me. She's smart, loyal, friendly, patient, forgiving, understanding, comical, and generally a wonderful companion. She comes to work with me and curls up in her chair while I'm at the computer; at lunch we go for walks together. I'm so thankful for her.

In a perfect world, only the perfect dogs would be bred and we could all afford to purchase one. In this world, dog owners sometimes use poor judgement and puppies are the result. That doesn't mean that the puppies are *necessarily* bad--only that you don't know. If you're willing to take a bit of a risk, and understand that you may have to put him down if he turns out to be terribly unhealthy or of poor temperament, there's a chance you may wind up with a companion as good as mine.

In passing (you probably know) that a gentle, firm hand and lots of love go a long way in helping your pet develop his positive qualities, no matter what his background.

13. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

Jan, your story sounds much like mine. My first GSD, Lady, was given to us by friends who owned both parents. She to was "illigitimate", being an oops and having no papers. To date she has been the best pet we have ever had. She was even tempered but protective. Gentle with our children, obedient. Regretably I had her spayed. After her tragic passing (at a boarders while I was temporarily over seas), My DH bought me a rather expensive papered shepherd. While he was lovable to us, he was also troublesome and quarrelsome to the other animals. But he was beautiful. He was stolen right out of the yard. Not a very good guard dog.

Like Dot, I am looking for another GSD but going very slowly this time. Purebred is important, IMO, but not papers.

14. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Mpillow, when we got our homeowners insurance 2 years ago, GSD's were not a problem--just pits, rotts, & dobermans. Maybe it depends on the area of the country!?

We got both of our at the pound. My female is definately purebreed, but vets are not 100% sure on the male. Both are wonderful, intelligent and loving dogs, and I wouldn't trade them for any papered dog out there. Took we a couple months and lots of visits to find them. If the managers there know what you are looking for, they may call you if one comes in. Also, check with the local vets--they might know of someone breeding, or may let you post a "wanted" notice on their board.

15. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm checking them out.

FranktheTank, Bailey is beautiful. Thanks for the pictures!

16. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

FrankTheTank your bailey looks more like a shiloh shepherd than a GSD..

Shiloh shep.:
    [​IMG]

GSD:
    [​IMG]

notice the coat and nose difference.

17. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

18. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Ours was a stray and just barely an adult when she showed up at our place. Apparently she was dumped because she was pregnant. We took good care of her and had her fixed after we found homes for all the puppies. She has turned out to be the sweetest dog. She loves the grandbabies and loves the cats. The cats love her so much that they groom her. I don't like big dogs but she has won me over. I'm not even mad at DH for being such a sucker. (He can't resist animals)

19. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

You are right, Bailey is very beautiful but does not look like a GSD. Looks like a Belgian Tervuran. Very intelligent and sharp.

LQ

20. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Dot,

There are already great ideas on where to get your dog. Let me just say that you have made a very wise decision. GSDs are the BEST! I don't have one now but I have had two in the past and they are fabulous dogs.

Regarding registering him/her. The one that I had that I could have registered, I didn't. I didn't plan to breed her and sell the puppies so I thought it not worth the effort and expense.

Good luck!