Geothermal heating

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tracy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Been researching geothermal heating and even though the initial costs are high it seems this system would be the way to go as you can save up to 70% heating with oil. Says the system will pay for itself with in 5-7 years.

Anybody have this installed? Pros and Cons?

Also I am looking into tax incentives for installing this as our business is located on our farm.

Any info would be great.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Tracy, I have a ground water source geothermal heatpump and the unit works as described with the heat hotter and the coll cooler than a conventional heatpump. This has ben one of my best all time purchases. My utility bill has always been significantly lower as a consequence. There really is not any reason for the purchase price for the unit to be higher. There are some additional expenses with the installation depending on the manner you extract the earths temperature. Do a Google search and you will find lots of info. If you have a problem come back and post.

3. icanfixthat

icanfixthat New Member

Ground temps remain constant (and lower) compared to the ever changing outside air temps. Because of this, the compressor will operate with less power draw (amperage) and since the head pressure is lower the unit will theorectically last longer. They do cost substantially more, but will save you in power consumption.

Even though they have some different maintenance requirements over a typical air cooled unit; they also have the advantage of not having the condensor (outdoor component) chocked it with grass and other yard debri. You would be amazed at how much money a dirty condenser will cost you on your electric bill. I clean mine yearly and I always see a drop of 2 amps or more.

Transferring heat with a fliud is much more efficient then when transferring with air. It is also not affected by humidity.

In a nut shell, as the outside air temperature rises, the workload on a typical system increases not only because of the elevated heat loads within the home, but it is harder to cool (condense) the refrigerant with the outdoor unit. A geothermal unit only deals with the increase in heat load in the home.

Hope this helps.

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

You might also research the benefits of building under a forest canopy. Today it was mid 90's outside, my home never got above 75, closed the doors first thing in the morning, trapping the cool night air, and my oaks give me shade from the broiling sun.

5. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

We have a unit in our home and you may find more info if you Google for the barand name "Water Furnace". We are extremely happy with our unit. Got our highest electric bill yet (in 8 years) this summer...$148.00! Our home is approx 28'x40'- 2 story. No tree cover, we sit right out on the top of a hill.