Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gas/oil company in our area has approched us for permission to survey our land for minerals. Apparently everyone in a 5 miles sq area except us and a few other has granted permission. They said that if they found anything, no drill, rig or derrik would be placed on our land, as it's not enough acreage. THey need someone with 100's of acres for that. No they wouldn't put that in writing. They said if we said no, they will find the minerals anyway, from the neighbors next door. They are being very persistant, coming 4 out of 4 days in a row. What should we do?? Has anyone ever done this? We do not own mineral rights, as far as we know.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
file a harrassment lawsuit if they keep bugging you.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I worked for a "Geophysical Mineral Seismic Survey" company from 1980 to 1984 being sent to 20 different states and one place in the Middle East.

They generally pay good money to temporarily (maybe one full day) lay the cables across your land. The cables with attached geo-phones capture shock waves from underneath the surface when a vibration from either machines or explosives is created. The recorded shock waves give a sort of picture of the geologic structures underground. They may not be so much interested in your place but geo-phones optimally must be laid out for several miles in all directions from the place drilling would possibly occur in order to pinpoint just where or how deep would be the best place to drill a well.

Be certain if you allow them across that they are liable for any damage to your roads, fences, crops, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Haven't I read that Texas is one of those states where the mineral owner's rights supercede the surface owner's? In short, while you can delay or possibly keep them from conducting the survey (ie; damaging the surface)....if the survey data from your neighbor's property tells them something is "there".....They (mineral owners of your property) can set a rig in your front yard and drill.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Not like an oil company to lie to you...is it?

Better talk to other people in the 5 sq mi first to see what their take on this is. You should find out what your mineral rights really are.

RF

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Seismic mapping usually pays okay for their short intrusion onto your land. What payment are they offering? You should get something.

Of course they won't be drilling on your land, etc. as this is just to help determine where the best location to drill would be.

You really should read your deed and determine what you do own or have rights to.

As to drilling on small holdings---they have drilled on partial city blocks in my home town as well as other towns in Kansas. A producing well is only a couple of hundred feet from my SIL and daughter's home and sets in a park.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
What part of Texas are you located.... It's mighty hard to imagine a single inch of this sacred soil that hasn't been seismic surveyed!

There's surveyors and then there's landmen... One is surveying, and the other wants to lease your land. Of course, they could be one and the same. If they do start leasing, and you don't lease, you'll get diddly, even though they'd actually be taking minerals from under your property. How many acres? Rigs have to be 200' away from houses and barns. If your home or barn is near your boundary line, you could end up with a drilling rig literally on the fence line...as long as it's 200' away. Realize that the first few years of oil/gas production will produce more income, than your land is currently worth. Royalty is worth on average 3 or 4x what land is worth.... Of course if you don't lease, your basically giving away your royalties for free... Something to think about.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
..........................You have the right too refuse the seismic survey . They may only need to lay cables across your property which eliminates the logistics of having to go "around" your property . If , your property isn't already under a current lease it might be worth letting them pay you for their work . If , the minerals below your surface ownership are already held by an existing mineral lease you can refuse the seismic crews requests , BUT you will not beable too prevent the mineral owners from drilling a well on your land , should they decide to do so . ,fordy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes in Texas if they find anything then I have no choice, mineral rights are before surface rights, I read that last night.

THey offered 50 dollars to do the survey for a 5 acre area. I have a large barn back there, and my house is on a 2 acre plot right in front on that area.

He did tell me (because I asked) that if property owner A refused permission for the survey and property owner B granted permission, and minerals were found in the area, that the rig would more than likely go on property owner B's land unless it was absolutly nescessary for it to go on A's land. :shrug:

He assured me 20 times, that they would have to buy the whole place, home, barn and land to use mine for drilling......just because of how my buildings are set up.

Maybe I am scared for nothing?

I'm in East Texas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts