Gentlemen! Need an assist here

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Dec 1, 2006.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Sorry ladies, didn't mean to leave you out, if you can help, step in. :)

This should probably be posted in the craft forum, but not too many men go there. Not to say they don't, just thought I'd get more of a response here.

Here's the deal..........

Lamp made with steel tubing and river rocks, tubing appears to need welding, according to instructions here.................
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_metal_wire/article/0,1789,HGTV_3257_4243842,00.html

Question, couldn't I just solder instead of welding? How about if I replace the steel with copper tubing? Could I get away with just soldering the copper tubing? Would that be a strong enough bond?

And if you have an interest, more lamps made in the same manner here........
    http://www.festaco.com/tablelamps.html You could check out the other products as well. I have no connection with the site, just looked after seeing the Lamp instructions at HGTV.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

edited:waste of information.

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I have made something similar to this. You "can" solder it, but that won't be as sturdy or take near that bumping etc that a weld will, that's probably why they say weld it. Maybe try a bit softer metal and use a propane torch to sort of weld them?

Kaza

4. CraftyDiva

OK....... what softer metal could I use? Plus don't have a propane torch, but do have a butane torch (like for cooking) don't laugh :nono: I use it to melt silver in jewelry making and it gets hot enough to melt silver.

5. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Would the copper tubing support the wight of the shade, the fixture and the river rock? Copper is so soft...

6. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Here's the reason it's welded:

"5/16" hot rolled steel round rod"

That's much too thick to use solder on and get any kind of lasting hold.

Copper would work fine, but might tend to lose it's shape depending on the weight of the rock you use. If I went with copper, I'd use solder joints like the pros use in plumbing and that would tend to make the lamp look odd.

But again, maybe that would add to it's appeal.

7. CraftyDiva

I think you could get copper tubing in different weights. I've seen some great yard art done in copper tubing at craft shows.

8. CraftyDiva

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd use JB Weld and Duct Tape.
    Paul Harvey, and Red Green would never lead you astray.

10. CraftyDiva

LOL........ might make an interesting design.

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Copper will work. Use Silver Solder instead of lead solder. Fit the joints carefully and use Boric acid as a flux

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If she's using a butane torch, I know that the silver solder will get hot enough, but will the copper heat sufficiently to get good flow?

Pony!

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i wouldnt use soft copper i would use copper pipe L tubing then you can silver solder it
    it looks like it can be made with 45 deg. bends and 60/40 solder will allso hold

14. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

The price of the copper will most likely exceed the cost of having a welder do the weld on the steel.

15. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

I was waiting and wondering when someone would come up with the obvious.... :rolleyes: but if that is all you have and you want to do it yourself, then go for it. Both bearfootfarm and mtman have the advice needed to do the job correctly; shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy!

16. CraftyDiva

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm not locked in on the copper, just thought it would be easier to solder, since I don't have a welding torch.

BTW.... the butane torch I have gets up to 2500 degrees, silver melts (becomes liquid) between 1000 and 1200. So this torch should work.

Time to play.........
    Thanks again :)

17. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Just remember that to solder you have to heat the whole surface. What you could do to connect the steel is brazeing. I't is quite a bit stronger than solder. With brazing you should be able to heat 5/16 steel enough for a good bond. But you will most likely need a bigger torch. You can pick up a mini torch for doing such projects at a hardware store. They use the small cylinders that propane comes in but have mapp gas and oxygen. They can get steel white hot. They do cost a little tho. About 60 bucks. :)