Genetically-Altered Pigs in food supply

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Junkmanme, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

Here's a link to another "discussion" with info on generically-altered pigs intended to provide Omega-3:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?p=1949599#post1949599

It may be a "good thing". I dunno enuf to have any opinion. :shrug:
    Bruce

I'm thinkin' 'bout raisin' a pig this year. Maybe I should get THAT KIND of pig.....to improve my heart-health! (Had another heart-attack last April)

2. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

There is another way to get high Omega-3 fatty acids (healthy kind, good for your heart) in pigs without doing any genetic engineering, pasture them. If they get a lot or ideally most of their food from the pasture then they will be naturally high in Omega-3 - same as beef, lamb, etc done on pasture.

3. Junkmanme

Hi Highlands! at SugarMtnfarm.com

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know "diddly" about pigs. I have a good friend and neighbor who knows a bit. He's been raisin "farm critters" all his life! Another crazy "Texan" who wears his pants tucked "INSIDE" his boots......only Texans do THAT!!
    When he needs to go somewhere, he tells me what to do and I take care of his "critters". (He gives me the chicken eggs......some of which I'm trying to "incubate in a "Rube Goldberg" makeshift homemade incubator (no big expectations!!).

I'm going to "raise some rabbits" this Spring , also....for meat.

Also SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING raising 2 pigs (a breeding pair). I do a lot of "smoking" of meats,and making pickles, etc. I'd like to "smoke" some hams...."Carolina-style" and pickle some other portions.

I've been thinkin' 'bout "rare breeds" of pig......Red Wattles (sp) and Big Black Pig (name?)...because I figure if I'm feedin' 'em....the Ones that are gettin few ain't likely to eat a helluva lot more than any so-called field or standard pig. (If I do the pig thing......it is going to really make my "Boxer-Dog" upset with me !) (I'm gonna have to find a way to convince him that they are HIS PIGS !!!!)(same with the chickens and rabbits!!!!)

Anyway, these are my "planned projects.....besides the garage/workshop (main important!) and the WONDERFUL veggie-garden!!!

Sometimes I talk too much..........
    Best Regards,
    Bruce

We have dreams that are easily fulfilled with commitment! Author: ME

4. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Bruce, Pigs are very easy. I'm sure you'll have fun with them. Of the varied livestock we have, pigs are the easiest, grow the fastest, eat the most varied diet and reproduce the most. Hmm... Except for chickens on that last one I guess. :) Bacon and eggs. Cheers, -Walter

5. Junkmanme

Hi Walter!

Well, I guess I'll try it!
    (I'm sure "the texan" will help me if I run into "trouble".!!!!!)

My problem ( no biggie !) is that I would "prefer" to raise some "old-fashioned" ( read as a gardener) ......"Open-Pollinated Heirloom" types.....

THAT may not be "possible" here, because of what may be available locally......."Any breed/cross" GOOD PIG!"

I dunno, but I figure it's "pretty much" the same except for my personal prejudices.....

Also, speaking of "prejudice".....I had a posting deleted because I used the word "Jap" relative to a posting about POW in WW2...... Gees.....some people are not only "thin-skinned", but kinda historically incomplete............

My children know about the HELL "their grandfather" went through after the "Fall of Bataan" and it doesn't matter if someone is ignorant of it. That's the "historically ignorant" person's "sword of Damocoles"........NUFF SAID!!!

Best Regards!
    Bruce

6. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

From the No Nais site - http://nonais.org/

USDA Allows in Mexican Pork

Home grown diseases aren’t good enough for the USDA, they’ve got to import more disease from other countries. Perhaps that way they can justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars an overly complex, invasive accounting system like the National Animal Identification System (NAIS).

US food companies may soon be able to restart sending their pork supplies to Mexico for processing, if US Department of Agriculture (USDA) proposals are given the go-ahead.

"The USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has issued a proposal to allow the importation of uncooked pork and pork products from designated regions in Mexico, where classical swine fever (CSF) is considered to exist, if the shipments originate in an area free of the disease."

-George Reynolds for Farm.com

Every time the USDA speaks their lips are moving on both sides of their face. US pork farmers should be shrill about this one. Perhaps the new goal is to outsource our food supply.