genetic testing/experiments?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KSALguy, May 5, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

does anyone do any genetic trial mateings around here? if so what kind?
    i am on several pigeon genetic boards and have learned alot about crossing pigeons for genetic tests and fun, just wonderd if anyone did that sort of thing around here with rabbits or is it pretty much pure bred or mutt?

i had an idea (not sure if it has been done yet or not) but what if you could put the rex or satin fur type onto a small minni lop? or one of thoughs "tiny tiny" rabbits with the short pointy ears (sorry dont know the name) and the mascara?
    whats the dominance/recessive traits involved with crossing a lop with a rex?

2. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

people are doing this. Its called a veleteen lop, or a plush lop, depending on the size.

The "mascara" rabbit you are talking abour is a dwarf hotot, they also come in standard.

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure, I like to play with genetics. I do it with rabbits but mainly with turkeys. It's a fun hobby. :)

BTW, if you have interest in the back ground of rabbits, get the Bob Whitman book on the history of rabbits. It's reallyl interesting. One of the things I learned in there was that a lot of breeds had rex fur for awhile, but then they decided to combine them all under the Standard Rex form. I'd personallly like to have a Flemish Giant rabbit with rex fur. :)

Jennifer

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

The small rabbit with pointy ears and mascara is called the Dwarf Hotot. Neat-looking rabbit!

Yup, there's a new breed of rabbit that's essentially a Mini Lop with Rex fur...they call them Mini Plush Lops, but the breed will probably never be recognized as an official breed. When the people developing the breed tried to go through the process of getting the breed recognized, the ARBA Standards Commitee suggested they develop a variation to try and get accepted...so now we have the Velveteen Lop, a breed that looks like an English Lop (REALLY long ears) in miniature with Rex fur. They are really cute, and I'm thinking they'll become pretty popular once they're accepted. Check out http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/velveteenstd.htm for pictures. ;)

There are Mini Satin rabbits too, but no lop breeds with Satin fur. I *think* you may be able to get Satin fur on a rabbit in the second generation (I even get satin-furred animals in my line of purebred Californians once in a while.), but it would take a while to get type and fur right. I believe Rex fur is also a simple recessive, but again, it would take a while to get the type right...from what I've heard, the ears are a challenge.