Generators and Computers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Dec 26, 2006.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

Maybe I've been operating under the wrong assumption, so I'm hoping someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Somewhere along the line I thought I read that I was safe using my computer, powered by a generator, as long as it was run through my UPS. In other words, just plug my UPS into an extension cord run directly to my generator.

Seems to be a very cheap alternative to owning a true sine-wave inverter for my sensitive electronic equipment.

2. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

The problem is that the UPS is not correcting the waveform into a full sine wave, it stays as modified square wave unless you have a true sine inverter. The question is the generator - how clean is the power and have true is the sine wave coming off of it. If your invertor is running shore power, it just passes it along.

I am just saying what I understand to be the case. I have always had a true sine wave invertor chosing to have a more costly and less efficient invertor since we run our washer (which doesn't like a modifed sine wave) and computers.

That said, I still think you can run your computer on a modified sine wave if you have a UPS/Surge protector. The main thing is that the clock may be off but you can use a internet time server to update it regularly

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

You do Not need to run your genny thru a UPS to power a computer,direct connect works fine.

Computers will run on very dirty power,the power supplies in them are pretty trashy.

Anything that runs with a digital clock will NOT run on modified sine wave.Virtually all UPS are modified sine wave with a few more costly exceptions.

I was surprised they DO make pure sine wave UPS's ,someone addressed that in Alt Energy section once.

Laser printer require sine wave,but I dont have one so personally cant swear to it.

All I can see a UPS doing for you is protecting from either surges if so equipped,or protecting against low voltage,which really doesnt hurt the actual computer.Their in tower power supplies can operate across a very wide voltage range of AC and still put out the correct DC voltages required(Also addressed in the past on Alt Energy board I believe).

How that would affect the monitor (low voltage) I dont know.

I do know some monitors buzz on mod sine wave,my Samsung LCD does.

BooBoo :gromit:

4. mightybooboo

What he said,AFAIK thats 100% correct.

BooBoo :gromit:

5. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

Been running multiple computers for years now on modified sine wave inverters, both home and in the semi. I have never had a problem yet from power, But it might happen. I do use a internet clock to update time, but have always done that even in the store! Right now have run the home puters off 3 different generators and 5 or 6 inverters never a problem yet, and my coleman inverter will pay if they blow up something u plug in. I cant afford the true sine wave, want one down the road, byt so far 3 yrs off grid and 10 plus yrs in the semi with zero problems

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Been running two computers, printers etc off a modified sinewave heart freedom inverter for the past 4 years. No trouble yet. In fact the only wave issue we have ever had is that we cannot get good AM radio signal since we got the inverter!

7. mightybooboo

Is that a laser printer? I have a Heart 458 also.
    Inkjet runs fine.

BooBoo