Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,107 Posts
Read the plate on the side of the welder!

·
Registered
227 Posts
A quick google search on that model welder says it’s requires a 230-1-60 at 50 amps. Volts x amps equals watts 230x50=11,500 watt or 11.5kw generator needed to run that welder. Your better off renting a welder generator from your local rental house if you need to weld something away from power.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, I have the welder, and live 25 miles from anyplace that rents stuff like that.
50 mile round trip and ~ 15mpg in you PU = 3.3 gal of gas; @ $2/gal, that's less than $7 for transportation. I don't know how much the rental runs, but it'll cost you $1500 -$5000 to buy one.

How often will you be using it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you have a smaller generator, like 4000 or 5000 watts, that'll run an inverter welder just fine. Inverters can be gotten pretty cheap these days, way cheaper than a generator that'll run a tombstone.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,911 Posts
What do you plan on welding?
You might be better off to use a different machine.

·
Premium Member
25,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont PLAN on welding anything. Things just break when they decide to and I need a welder to keep them fixed

·
78,911 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Bill.
Since it's a 220 volt welder, your only affordable options is to keep it in your shop where you have a 220 volt source, buy a 110 welder or buy at least a 3000 watt 12vdc to 220vac inverter for your truck.

Since you already have the Lincoln and don't anticipate using it regularly. your most affordable option is to wire it in your shop and if something breaks, drag it to your shop to weld it.

·
Premium Member
25,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#1. I dont really have a (shop) My tools at least most of them are in a 8 X 8 shed my DD gave me Its not wired, Only the house has 220

·
Registered
374 Posts
In that case if you need to weld buy a small inverter welder that works on house current. They're relatively inexpensive anymore, well under $200. I have two that do 160 amps off a 20 Amp breaker.

But there are stronger cheaper inverters here in Costa Rica than up north, I can't explain it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What size generator do you already have? Does it have a 4-prong 240V socket? The welder is only going to use that much power at maximum amperage. You could empirically test how much power you'll need by starting out at the lowest, 40amp setting, and seeing if the generator you have can sustain that load. You could then incrementally increase the amperage till you can tell that the generator is bogging down. The worst that can happen is that you pop the breaker on the generator.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Bill,
If only your house has 220, you could do as I did when I first moved here and had to use a 220 Lincoln welder to strip the bed and frame from a front end wrecked pick up body to make a single axle trailer using the frame to make the hitch brace and park foot wheel mount.

I bought a male and female 220 plug set and 50 foot box of Romex wire for under $40 total and made an extension cord to plug into the 220 plug in the laundry room dryer plug and routed it to the garage to power the welder when I needed.

The next year when my maintenance man had the time , he used the extension cord wire to route a 220 line from the breaker box in conduit to the garage to power the welder and I still have the male plug from the homemade extension cord on the shelf.

·
Registered
227 Posts
tHE gENERATOR HAS 55000 WATTS, AND 85000 STARTING WATTS
Wow that’s a big generator, you sure you didn’t fat finger those numbers? I’m guessing you meant 5500 running and 8500 starting. That would be “normal” portable generator around 8-10hp. A 55,000 watt generator would be more like a 100 or so hp engine running it , think 300ci Ford engine. If it’s a 5500 watt geny it should have a 30 amp twist lock 230 volt plug. That plug should provide you with about 23-24 amps at 230 volt which is the voltage your Lincoln bus box requires however it is not enough amperage. You could try it if you wire the correct plug to your welder, my guess is you would be limited to around half the amps that welder can do when running on the generator.

If I where you I would keep a eye on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a used welder generator in your area. It would accomplish what you need and be a whole lot less work.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I burned out a nice makita 4000 watt generator with a Lincoln transformer. Transformer welders are very abusive on generators. Buy an inverter for this type of thing. They're cheap these days

·
78,911 Posts
tHE gENERATOR HAS 55000 WATTS, AND 85000 STARTING WATTS
If you're determined to have a portable welder you should sell the one you have and buy one with it's own power supply.

Reactions: TripleD

·
Premium Member
25,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats an idea bear, but ive seen this type welder sell for under $50. I plan to sell both the welder AND the generator, and then see whats out there used in a welder/generator

1 - 20 of 22 Posts