Generator Rack on Trailer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jena, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I am going to get a rack or something put on my trailer tongue to hold my generator. I have no idea what I need, other than the genny needs to go there and I'd like it to be lockable to prevent theft. A padlock and chain are ok as the theft concern is only a temporary thing, usually I don't worry about it.

Is it possible to have a solid box to cut noise? Just open on the muffler side? Is it possible to have a "roof" to shed rain and let me use it in the rain without being a total electicution risk?

I'm sure the welder has done this before, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm wanting before I go in there, but I don't know what's possible.

Also, can this rack contain a ground of some sort so that I can't accidently energize my trailer? Is that necessary and how would I do that (I see a wire going to the jack???).

Thanks
    Jena

2. oldudbob

oldudbob Member

I am going to get a rack or something put on my trailer tongue to hold my generator. I have no idea what I need, other than the genny needs to go there and I'd like it to be lockable to prevent theft. A padlock and chain are ok as the theft concern is only a temporary thing, usually I don't worry about it.

What type of trailer are you going to mount the generator on?
    What are the dimensions and weight of the generator?

Is it possible to have a solid box to cut noise? Just open on the muffler side? Is it possible to have a "roof" to shed rain and let me use it in the rain without being a total electicution risk?

Yes, it is possible to mount it in an enclosed box. However, you will have to design it for accessibility, heat build-up and sound proofing.

I'm sure the welder has done this before, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm wanting before I go in there, but I don't know what's possible.

For a good metal fabricator just about anything is possible if you are willing to pay the price.

Also, can this rack contain a ground of some sort so that I can't accidentally energize my trailer? Is that necessary and how would I do that (I see a wire going to the jack???).

I will let someone who is more electrically knowledgeable address this last question.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

This will be on your rather large meat locker trailer, running the refrigerators right?

Roof is good, totally enclosed would be a problem I'd think - the engine needs to get rid of heat, get rid of exhaust, and intake clean air, you would need it screened at the most....

Grounding a portable generator. Hum. I'll sit & watch for intelligent replies on that, my thoughts would just be guesses. Good question.

--->Paul

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Since welding gensets are enclosed it must be possible. I know my butchers genset is not and I don't think I ever saw a ground which is an excellent point! By his own admision he made a few errors building the thing. Don't forget vibration, it will need to sit on rubber mounts or it with put an uncomfortable shake through the whole trialer. Noise was a big concern too, look at extra mufflers or an extension to get the exhaust up Pretty sure Honda makes what you'd need for their stuff anyhow. Grounding should use a proper sunk intot he ground earth, maybe you can install a perminant one near to where you are and run a cable, otherwise mabe a spike on a seperate jack that will drive into the ground as much as you can? Ask an electrician!

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Perhaps we are talking in relative terms, but i've never seen one 'enclosed' - I've seen them with some nice lovured, vented side panels that would shed rain but let lots of air-flow. Or side panels that have to flip open for use.

On the grounding, my guess it that it's important for electricity to be grounded from source to use - the gen set to the trailer frame to the refrigirators (or whatever) but in this case, to actual earth would not really be extra important. But that is just _wild_ speculation on my part, I don't really know.

--->Paul

6. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

The only time grounding would be an issue is if the trailer was either connected to a grounded source (such as the electric utility or off-trailer generator), or if the on-trailer generator were used to power off-trailer loads.

As Paul stated, if the on-trailer generator is supplying on-trailer loads only, then the only grounding requirement would be a common (the generator and the loads) ground to the trailer frame.

Bob