Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting info about generator. If i do it will be at tax time and would be like the portable kind. I would like it to run as much as i could in the house for when/if power is out. I know will have to have some kind of a plug. Just want to learn as much as i can before i go and look at them. On the fuel can i get 1 that is a multi fuel in these sizes? Have a Lowes in town and a HD about 45 mins away. Know how much i can spend getting what i would need? Would like one of those bug kind but don't have $8000.00 plus for this. Thanks

·
Voice of Reason
52,221 Posts
You need to do some googling on how it's done. Using a cord is illegal. They call a cord with double male plugs that go from a generator to the house a "suicide cord." You don't want to do that.

There are manual interlock switching devices that are inexpensive and legal. Here's a video of how they work.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pQpXo4np4k[/ame]

·
Registered
529 Posts
You may be looking at two different animals. If you want to run anything with a heating element or any type of air conditioner you will need mega wattage and amperage. if you simply want to keep the lights on and food cold and perhaps run a fan then a small portable will do it. Fuel consumption for anything over 3000 watts is expensive.

Also, the reason HD and Lowes sell the generators they do is that the companies that produce them can not get servicing dealers to sell them. They are designed with price point in mind only and I have never one I would own.

I would not own a gen set that was not produced by Honda or Yamaha. Either of these will get the job done for decades. I use a Honda EU2000 to run everything except the electric dryer. It uses about 2 gallons of fuel over 8 hours and it has a clean sine wave so I am secure in knowing my electronics wont be fried by it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
My wife had a terminal disease that required oxygen 24 hours per day. I could not store enough tanks for emergencies, and her concentrator ran on electricity. I bought a Troy-bilt 5,500 watt genset to keep her concentrator running.

Along came a snow and ice storm that cut off our power for about ten days. I ran the fan that circulated air through our fireplace, her concentrator, the refrigerator, lights, TV, and radio. I also plugged in the freezer every other day.

For cooking I would plug in an electric wok, but I'd disconnect the refrigerator and freezer and unneeded lights while cooking.

I had to fuel the generator twice daily--about a half gallon per hour. To be safe I checked it at midnight also.

We had two such power outages during my wife's final days, and the generator kept us going both times. I have it yet, using it occasionally to power tools out in the pasture. I run the carburetor dry after each use and the engine starts in one or two pulls on the starter, even with old gasoline. Briggs engine.

I've read that these small engines were designed to run only about 150 hours. That must be bunk; mine has at least 750 hours on it and still does not use oil.
Ox

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've owned portables-diff makes&sizes,short term/cheap alternative.bought used generac 8000-guardian.natural gas or propane-AWESOME.runs EVERYTHING.home/garage/outdoor lights.my used-$1200 hooked up.new your looking at$3000.worth every penny.....

·
Banned
81 Posts
I have a 5000/6250 coleman 10hp with Tecumseh engine and it runs the entire house so long as we don't turn on the electric clothes dryer or the air conditioner at the same time.

I converted mine to run on Natural Gas and it runs a lot more smoothly.. We had a power outage once in the middle of winter and it was so cold out, I had to build a box around the generator to use the heat from the engine to pre-warm the carb air because the gasoline wouldn't vaporize in the cold and the generator was constantly hunting and surging.. With natural gas, its as smooth as silk...

Buy a 5000 watt generator and you'll be fine if you're an average sized home.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
We have a Generac 8.5kw that is plenty for the whole house, including the well pump. We have 3 freezers, 2 fridges, furnace fan, etc. I could probably run the AC with a little breaker swapping, but no need so far. We also have a 4kw as backup strictly for the well pump in case the big on goes down. Of course, we also have a Simple Pump hand pump on the well if the little gen goes kaput.

I put tri-fuel kits on both gennys, so with 3 500 gal propane tanks we shouldn't run low on fuel anytime soon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have a Generac 8.5kw that is plenty for the whole house, including the well pump. We have 3 freezers, 2 fridges, furnace fan, etc. I could probably run the AC with a little breaker swapping, but no need so far. We also have a 4kw as backup strictly for the well pump in case the big on goes down. Of course, we also have a Simple Pump hand pump on the well if the little gen goes kaput.

I put tri-fuel kits on both gennys, so with 3 500 gal propane tanks we shouldn't run low on fuel anytime soon.

Our house is wired to a whole house generator switch. We haven't hooked to our propane tank yet. I'm wondering how long a 500 gal tank will last for a whole house. I personally just want to keep the fan running for the house heat and keep the freezer and refrig going. Hubby says we can select with this system.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
The best is made by Yamaha followed by Honda.....

What ever you do . .don't get suckered into buying that cheap $295 crap.....

If in dought it will be far safer for you to get an electrician to do the hook up...........

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Our house is wired to a whole house generator switch. We haven't hooked to our propane tank yet. I'm wondering how long a 500 gal tank will last for a whole house. I personally just want to keep the fan running for the house heat and keep the freezer and refrig going. Hubby says we can select with this system.
If it is really a whole house system it should mean what it says . Wild guess on fuel at about a gallon a hour :runforhills:

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
A "full" propane tank only holds 70%+-, so topped off you've got about 350 gallons. Not knowing the size motor of yours, I guess if you went with Sawmill Jim's estimation you wouldn't be far off.

We run ours intermittently when the power is out. Just enough to keep the freezers frigid, and try to time water use to coincide. What can I say, I'm cheap.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm also looking for a generator, but never find consistent answers. Does anyone have a good guess what generator will run a 1 hp well pump that's about 120 feet deep? I plan to run minimal lights, no hot water, and only the blower in my furnace if needed. I want the smallest one that will work well to conserve fuel.

·
Voice of Reason
52,221 Posts
I'm also looking for a generator, but never find consistent answers. Does anyone have a good guess what generator will run a 1 hp well pump that's about 120 feet deep? I plan to run minimal lights, no hot water, and only the blower in my furnace if needed. I want the smallest one that will work well to conserve fuel.
A 1 hp electric motor will draw about 800 watts.

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
I learned the hard way that you need to be real diligent about the oil in a small generator. I would recommend getting one with a low oil cutoff sensor to be safe. But having a portable generator comes in very handy if you need power away from your home at times, not to mention when the power goes out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fuel consumption for anything over 3000 watts is expensive.
I use a Honda EU2000 to run everything except the electric dryer. It uses about 2 gallons of fuel over 8 hours
You burned .25 gallon per hour to make 2kw max. My 10kw genset burns .3 gallon per hour at anything up to half load (0 to 5kw). Larger generators have a higher minimum baseline fuel requirement, but they are typically more fuel efficient. I used 20% more fuel but generated 150% more power.

If it is really a whole house system it should mean what it says . Wild guess on fuel at about a gallon a hour :runforhills:
See above. Whole house generator, I ran it for 70 hours after hurricane Irene and averaged .3 gph. It was life as usual. Many small generators use more fuel to make less power.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts