Generator problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TNHermit, May 10, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Devilbiss GB5000 generator. I like to run it every so often if it hasn't been used. i started it up but it wont put out any juice. It worked fine the last time I used it. Its a brush less style and I notice that behind the panel of plugs is what looks like a condenser of some style that two hot wire lead to. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Dave

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

yeah, i think you will find a capacitor and also a bridge diode.

when was last time used (short time ago or long time ago).

if you have a multi meter, check capacitor and bridge diode. well make sure generator fuses and circuit breakers are in first. then check other stuff.. generator may need exciting if its been out of use for a long time.

last Debviss i went into had a shorted stator coil from the armiture scraping against it(?) i figured the unit fell over knocking bearing housing out of alignment but who knows.

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

It runs fine and nothing is rubbing. Its been about 6 months since it was run long time but I start it up every once in a while and hook something up to it to give it a load. What would I be looking for in the condenser or diodes. Continuity or some measurement

Dave

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

if you don't have a meter with a capacitor checker,,then set meter for resistance. disconnect wires to cap. you should see an increasing resistance..(that just means that the cap. is charging, but thats a good sign)

the bridge rectifier (little square thing with four spades poking out) label and disconnect wires. set meter for diode check or continunity check. place one probe on one spade. then other probe on the spade to each side. there should be continunity on one side but not the other. check all four spades the same way. i would say that the diode is a weaker link than the capacitor. the coleman generators had really weak diodes.

but remember to recheck the simple stuff first....fuses circuitbreakers, loose wires...the stuff that would make a repair man look foolish if they were overlooked( and boy do i know about that)

i think i have some information on remagnitising at the office,,,,but it might be a week before i'm back at home base office. try a google on your model number....i think you will find a troubleshooting guide. but it will take a phone call to deviss to get the good information (i think they have a recall or atleast a known problem with some of their generators)

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

OT,but still genny useful info.
    I heard running synthetic oil in a genny will really improve lifespan,makes good sense,air cooled,high rpm motor,synthetic should shine in that application.

Put it in my newHonda EU-2000-I genny,I have high hopes for a long lifespan.(BTW,starts very easily and is MAJOR quiet,FWIW)

I saw a thread somewhere where they claimed 3 TIMES the engine longevity with synthetic oil? Dont know if its true,but cheap enough,they dont hold much oil,and it surely wont hurt em.

BooBoo