generator blowin fuses in the house

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was wondering why a generator or what would cause a generator to overcharge and put out too much electricity that melts or blows fuses? Could the generator have the wires crossed?
    tnborn

2. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

I Have Heard That If You Are On The Power Grid And Normally Have Electricity, That When You Use The Portable Generator You Are Supposed To Turn Off The Main Disconnect In Your Fuse Box.

I Heard This From A Guy Who Works For A Power Company. During All The Florida Hurricanes More Than One Power Company Worker Was Electrocuted From The Power In A Generator Feeding Back Into The Company's Lines.

Hope You Get Some Good Advice On This. And Be Careful!

Mom

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

The volt/amp controls witin it are broke or lousy. Don't use it any more. Death by CO2 inhalation is pretty peaceful but house aflame ain't pretty; also make sure you don't have it on 220 volts rather than 110.

4. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

Probably should have posted this in the SHOP forum, more opinions there.

Here goes - I get to maintain a bunch of these darn things, mostly big Generacs (got ALL the manuals on disk)... Get a Volt-Ohm-Meter (VOM) and after you unplug the Genset, see what it's putting out - VOLTS that is.

Chances are, it's either hooked up to your electrical panel incorrectly, load inbalanced, between lines (240 volt system), open neutral (will make some lights glow REAL BRIGHT & flicker before they burn out, others real dim, blow fuses, etc).

Other choices could be the voltage regulator on the generator, govenator gone haywire (runs wild when not under load, ie., engine races).

The most obvious question would be: Did it work correctly once before, and what changed? If it did, and everything worked right, nothing changed, check/test the neutral & ground wires throughly before you start it back up. I mean, undo screws, clean, tighten, check impedance with the VOM, make SURE their both good!

If it hasn't ever seemed to work quite right... start on the Genset and your connections to the panel.

BTW... more electricians are shocked off the neutral than line - why? They forget the neutral also carries current!

This ought to be another no-brainer - if you leave your Genset hooked up to the panel and the power comes back on, which generator is gonna "win" - yours or the power stations? hint... the loser goes up in smoke faster than you can say, "oops!" or a breaker can trip.

IF YOUR UNSURE - CALL A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN!

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Try these simple checks....(1) unplug the genset from the house , then start it and try plugging a lamp or any 120 volt device into the plug ...ON the Genset itself , If it works with NO problems then You need to check the Integrity and proper wiring connections on the plug from the genset to the house wiring , in whatever format that it was wired . My feeling is , IS that you need to call an Electician to diagnose the problem and FIX the problem as I don't feel that maybe you are NOT as Knowledgeable as required to fix the problem . This , IS NOT something that tolerate a incorrectly wired panel because it could take your life or burn your house down , fordy.. :)

6. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

ALSO --- are you sure your not on three phase power lines? The other fellow is correct; I ran a 45k generator on my dairy if power failed BUT we had a disconnect input switch.

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. :) I am printing this out so this can give my husband a direction of how to fix it.
    tnborn