General Ponding?

Discussion in 'Hydroponics / Aquaponics' started by New2RuralHomesteading, Aug 28, 2017.

1. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

Ok I think I've actually heard something like that before about the h2o2 but I guess I forgot.

2. New2RuralHomesteading

New2RuralHomesteading Well-Known Member

Again, I genuinely appreciate all of your inputs. I wanted to sort of meld two responses together;

If was mentioned that it is likely so many feet deep or else the fish would freeze. It was also mentioned that stocking the pond with xyz fish would help on the algae factor.

Maybe this is a 'dense' question; but if the ponds do freeze over, and the ponds weren't deep enough, I would just have fish cubes come thaw time, right? Curious about that pond I have with all the Koi... they're abundant and I don't know anything about their tempature preferences. I'll have to ask them when I go out there again ;;))

(my experience has been that only the top few inches of our waters freeze unlike some more northern territories. That said, I'm in the city and moving north to the country I have no knowledge of what to expect)

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

If the pond freezes to the bottom your fish will be killed.

I overwintered my fish in 5' deep ponds here in MN where our lake ice can get 3+' thick. As long as you have liquid water below the ice and the sunlight can penetrate to the plants you should be fine. Most fish can survive just fine under the ice.

There's actually a danger of cooling the water too low with aeration so it's best not to over-aerate. Also, if your pond isn't covered with ice and snow for more than a month it's usually not a problem.

New2RuralHomesteading likes this.
  4. New2RuralHomesteading

Most excellent assistance with the "too much cooling" tidbit. I hadn't heard (and in fairness nor had I sought) that information before.

I've lived here in this addition for 5-6 years and the centers of our lakes (really, anything beyond 10 feet from shore) are all still just water. But knowing there are valuable differences, I'll have to peep it out during this winter and see what I can find out. Thanks so much!

5. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

Crap hit the reply button instead of post button... Neither of those links are what I was looking for but they explain the problems. Sounds like biggest issue is decaying matter eats up the oxygen when ponds freeze over, so that is the reason for deeper ponds to make more oxygen available before the freeze.

Sounds like koi don't need as deep of a pond, they can take shallow ponds almost completely frozen and survive it.

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as sunlight can penetrate the ice and reach the plants oxygen should not be a problem.

7. New2RuralHomesteading

Interestingly, I realized I'm a fish ditz. I thought they were koi fish. I'm beginning to think they're just big old goldfish.

*head hanging low*