Gen 32:22-31

Discussion in 'Bible Fellowship Forum' started by Cyngbaeld, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Was reading about how Jacob wrestled with 'a man' all night, and at dawn the 'man' said 'let me go, for it is daybreak'.

Why did he say 'for it is daybreak'? Since this was the Angel of the Lord why would it matter that the sun was coming up?

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Good question!, I don't have an answer, but I'm looking foward to seeing others replies.

3. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

From my studies (I've just been reading on this, actually) I've seen that more than a few people have seemed to interpret this as a metaphorical struggle, being as the 'man' wasn't revealed as an angel until the morning. The suggestion is that Jacob wrestled with his struggles/problems during the 'night' (during his dark period), and the damage to the hip socket denotes the fact that we almost never walk away from our struggles unscathed, especially if we try to handle them ourselves.

The overall idea is that instead of 'wrestling with God' (which is exactly what Israel is translated as meaning) we need to give our problems to God and let Him handle them, instead of 'wrestling with them during the night.'

Notice that Jacob wasn't 'let go' until he asked for a blessing, and when he did, he was renamed "Israel."

I'm not saying I know for sure that this is a fact, especially considering I tend to be a literalist unless proven otherwise.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I think it's a lot simpler and straight forward. It was a test of God to Jacob. To test how committed he was to receive the blessing of God.

Let me type it this way.

Let me go, it's morning time, you have to get moving with your wives and children.

An even more revealing question if we are to understand this passage is when God says... "What is thy name?" Surely God knew his name. Yes he did, we need to keep the context that when God interacts with men, it is for their benefit. He forced Jacob to admit who he was, to acknowledge his sin. He was Jacob which is also interpretted "Supplanter". Jacob the deceiver, who cheated his brother out of his heritage... And when he faced his sin, and confessed it to God, God blessed him.

Where do I get all that you ask?

Hosea 12:4 Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed: he wept, and made supplication unto him: he found him in Bethel, and there he spake with us;

He wept and made supplication UNTO him.

Isn't the word of God amazing?

5. RevJack

RevJack Well-Known Member

I thought I replied to this thread. I must be losing my mind.

6. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Great answer ZYG, I agree with your interpretation. :)

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Good answers Matt, and Bob. To me the angel saying to let me go for day break is coming means that Israel had not only prevailed with God, but had overcome his own sinful nature and a new day was dawning for him spiritually.