Gen 18

Discussion in 'Bible Fellowship Forum' started by Cyngbaeld, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When God is talking to Abraham and says that a cry has come up to His ears, so now He will go and see if it is true, what do you think He meant? Doesn't God see everything? Why would He have to go down in person to find out if it was true? Who cried to Him?

2. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

I could be wrong, but I thought some translations red that God sent His angels down to see if it was true. If so, I'd just say that He wanted to give His angels something to do. :p

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

if this happened today (post Christ's death on the cross), we would know that Christ spoke that to the Father on our behalf. Back then however, I have to assume that the heavenly economy and communication process was - indeed - different than it is now, and that the Father DID have to interact with us on earth (as He did with Abraham, Enoch, etc)

4. Cyngbaeld

This is widely accepted as a preincarnate visitation of Jesus Himself. Usually called 'The Angel of the Lord', so possible that is an Angel, not The Lord, however, God did walk with Adam in the cool of the evening and did speak with Abraham on more than one occasion. Abraham obviously had no trouble recognizing the Lord when he saw Him from the tent doorway.

5. Cyngbaeld

BTW, The Lord did not continue on to Sodom, but sent the two angels and they were the ones who actually went into Sodom.

I believe that the reason the Lord sent the angels is because He cannot look on sin nor does He hear the sinner pray unless that sinner is crying for forgiveness.

I think it was the cry of Lot's righteous soul that God heard as Lot vexed himself daily over the sin of Sodom.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

Zechariah 4:10 0 For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel [with] those seven; they [are] the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth.

Revelation 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. {Satan: Heb. the adversary} {among: Heb. in the midst of} 7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

suggests that these 7 angels (and satan as well) are used by god to see as well

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

God sees all. Those who were going to Sodom were going to destroy it. Jesus appeared to Abraham for Abrahams sake.

Notice God KNEW what he was going to do: Genesis 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

and perhaps we could also draw a parallel here... God is a compassionate God and in the new testament, when Jesus saw the hungry multitude it says: Matthew 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

And to go a little deeper, was not this an illustration of how prayer for the wicked and mediation on their part can affect God's heart? If God had said to Abraham... I am going their to kill everyone, would it have been forgone, and would Abraham have been right to approach God with his prayer to find 50, 40, 30, etc. righteous.

God did the same thing with Moses. Although I believe God knows the ultimate outcome of things that his Will can be better known through our prayer and ability to petition him.