Geiger counters (X-post from the HT board)

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I can't imagine anyone who stops in here hasn't checked out the Ht board but just in case!

This isn't in freedom and self reliance for a reason :help: My boy (and future geologist) has inherited a rock and mineral sample collection from my Uncle who was a geologist who passed away several years ago. Unfortunately my Aunt is not a geologist and to be frank there are lots (hundreds of pounds of samples) that could contain radioactive minerals. I don't want to assume they're all safe I know he has at least one sample of uraninite, and my boy will find school uses for the detector I'm looking at. Trouble is I don't know a decent detector from Hoover vacuum cleaner. Anyone know if this will do what we'll need? Fortuantely I do have access to family who should know this stuff too, but the mroe info I have the better choice I'll make!
    eBay link

Poratabliity is a non issue the boy has a better laptop than most of us homesteaders will ever see.

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

Gcounters have to be calibrated regularly, or they are unreliable. I have a link somewhere to a place that refurbishes and sells CD counters, and recalibrate them.

it isnt cheap, as an ebay special would be. just cuz it ticks dont mean its working right.

i was in the market for one "just in case" to have one on the shelf.... the diff between a surplus/used one @ around 10 bucks and a fixed calibrated one was...

alot... i'll dig out that link for you.

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

http://www.radmeters4u.com/

everything you ever wanted to know about te bomb, radiation, meters, FAQ's ect ect ect ect....

homesteaders required reading.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Thanks, when you check out the ebay guys site he has a method to calibrate the machine and explains why the old surplus jobbies are not what I need. I'll check out your link though thanks!