Geese Flying North

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cindy in KY, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

No, I'm not kidding. We live under the flyway here in Kentucky, and always see them going south and north, usually 3 days in fall coming down, and again 3 days in spring going back up. It's very loud, and you can hear the swishing of their wings, it's so neat, they fly so low over my hill. But yesterday, I was out in the pasture bringing the goats thru the gate, and at least 10-12 very big V's of geese passed over going north and honking up a storm. These were not just local geese out flying, they were in the flyway, going the exact same direction north as always. We don't have that many local geese who stay here. I sure do hope they know something we don't. Anyone else see them going north? They were going towards Indiana. And my yellow lilies are way up out of the ground too.

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure they'll stall somewhere along the way if they know how cold it is here still! If they don't maybe their proliforous numbers will finally dwindle I hope! They are becoming quite a nuisance up here where they breed :rolleyes:

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They are also a nusiance here in northern Indiana. Anyone who lives where they have lake or river frontage has to be mighty careful where they walk on their own lawns. A large number stay here the year around. When the lakes freeze over completely here, they just fly about ten miles south to the Wabash river, and hang out there until it thaws a least bit. Then they come back out to the lakes and stand around on the ice waiting for a hole to break through.
    We have a 24 acre lake on the back of the farm. Before the middle seventies geese never spent more than one night here. Around 1980 a pair nested on our lake, and several pairs have nested there every year since then.

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I had a mess of snow geese trying to land out back a few days ago. I guess they heard and saw my geese out back, and decided it was the place to be. If I could have only gotten to that scatter gun.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Here in northern Nebraska we've had resident Canada geese overwinter on the river for several years. Every fall I've seen a lot of sandhill cranes going south, but this season, saw almost none. Also have a larger than normal over-winter of robins and other birds. Global warming is here, as is Global dimming.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Usually the Canada geese congregate on the river way before the lake ice melts. Usually that's in late February or early May around here. I think the geese will make a few stops yet as most of the river is well frozen over.

Let me know when you see the departure of brown cranes. I've noticed over the past few years that they arrive here at least 2 or 3 weeks earlier than before.

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Canada geese overwinter here too & they fly from one pond or lake to another all the time. Our winter weather is not severe enough for the ponds & lakes to be frozen more than a few days out of the year.Many of the places that they choose to live are in suburban areas where hunting is not allowed. We don't see snow geese here.My sister has a fish pond & she had a blue heron visit at Thanksgiving & chow down on several of her expensive koi. Many bird species seem to have adapted to urban & suburban enviornments that were not part of their range a few years ago.We have blackbirds from South America that were not here at all 25yrs ago.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I've noticed the same thing here in Michigan. You look up at the V, then think, "wait, aren't you flying the wrong way?" Sometimes they will be flying east or west, too. If you see them in the evening flying the wrong way, they are probably headed for a specific place to spend the night. If you followed them, you'd find them landing in a field or near a pond. So, basicly, they fly northish or southish. I imagine there are things like air currents they like to use. They also congregate in large groups on the migration path, so various flocks will merge at one place. In that instance, they have to go off the north or south flying path in order to get to the party.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I didn't see any geese go south this year like I normally do.

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    This will seem an odd question but can you EAT those geese you see congregating like that. We have a bunch of detention ponds here in town along the big shopping street and those ponds are always surrounded by geese. They are rather tame and come right up to people as folks feed them all the time. Not that Im that desperate, but if you were really hungry, one of these geese wouldnt be too hard to catch. Would they make decent eating? Roast Goose for a Homeless Christmas dinner.? Just wondering? :confused: :p

11. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

can you EAT those geese you see congregating like that.

Yes, Canadian geese are delicious!! Wait til it's dark.

12. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Hunting season for Canada Goose closed Dec 31st in Indiana. They are good eating very lean so you have to be carefull not to dry it out. Nothing drives them off the property like a 12ga...

There's a special snow goose season coming up.

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Excellent roast Canada Goose. Had it a couple occasions specially over the Christmas holidays as a choice over turkey.
    Hunting regulations apply in each jurisdiction as to season and proper licence. Also, you'll need a migratory duck stamp. so don't forget that. The season here is mid August until it freezes up usually by mid November, though they're not hunted much past September when it's grouse and big game season. The prairies in Manitoba and Saskatchewan are prime pass shooting and decoy hunting in vast fields for wild geese. Canada geese in big numbers often can be seen in downtown Winnepeg as you drive in where the Royal Mint grouds are. They make a mess, and not allowed to be hunted in town obviously.

14. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

I've seen tons of morning doves this winter and I rarely see any.

15. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

I saw a Robin outside my kitchen window at the feeder.
    He's either back early or forgot to leave Kentucky for the winter.

16. Cindy in KY

Maybe they were on their way up to your place, Uncle Will. A Robin in Kentucky, now that's a good sign. :) Haven't seen any Robins yet, wish I had. Each spring, my meadowlarks come and sing to me in the garden, and the Mockingbirds, and they aren't here yet.

A few years ago, our spring came in February, full warm up and everything, but I also remember that fall also came a month early that year. We don't see much geese at all unless they are on their journey. There sure was allot of them going somewhere up there. We also see huge flocks of ducks in the spring and fall. Sometimes they land in the farmers fields for a rest. Some of the V's fly over my hill so low I could almost grab one.

17. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Were those geese wearing ear muffs?

18. kycountrygirl

kycountrygirl Member

I also noticed about 2 weeks ago the geese flying north! I also live in a fly zone and a couple of days ago there must of been 30 in a group flying over. I can also hear their wings flaping. I was hoping it was a sign of an early spring, I am ready. I have also see a couple of robins. I told my DH that maybe they forgot to go. I guess we can only hope for some warmer weather!!

19. Cindy in KY

Oh goodie! Maybe they do know something we don't. :) I am so ready for spring too. No, didn't see any earmuffs, but they did have down jackets on. :D

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I saw a robin yesterday, just before it started snowing. She was just sitting in the tree, puffed up to keep warm. I found that kind of odd.