Geese are laying eggs!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My geese only lay in the spring, at least that was true every year up to this year. Last week we got one goose egg, yesterday we got two. The earliest I have ever had goose eggs was the middle of March! Then they would lay until the end of June and quit. I'm wondering if this means anything weather-wise?

2. bluefish

bluefish Wait................what?

I don't know, but my turkeys are doing their spring flirting and dancing, etc. and I won't be surprised to see eggs any day. I don't usually see this behavior till March/April around here.

3. Cheryl in SD

So, it isn't just me! Montana isn't that far from the Black Hills.

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty I got it on farm status. Supporter

I think it means you're digging out the incubator! LOL

5. Cheryl in SD

The other wierd thing is that we saw zero canadian geese fly over this fall. None. Dh has been seeing some in the lakes of NE SD and SE ND, but we usually get almost a constant stream in late Sept. or early Oct. It's just strange.

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Cheryl,
    We have had a fairly mild fall up until Thanksgiving here. The bigger lakes had not frozen yet. The rivers thawed out again. Honkers will hang around as long as they have open water and food. I bet there will be some more comming through.

7. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Cheryl,
    We have had a fairly mild fall up until Thanksgiving here. The bigger lakes had not frozen yet. The rivers thawed out again. Honkers will hang around as long as they have open water and food. I bet there will be some more comming through.

8. Molly Mckee

Molly Mckee Well-Known Member Supporter

The wild turkeys have been doing their mating dances around the females--we were talking about it on Thanksgiving, it's really early (or late) for around here. We don't see baby turkeys until late spring.

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

They are preparing for the Mayan Zombie Goose Apocalypse next month.

10. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I was so excited the first time I ever had geese laying eggs. Congratulations to you. I hope each and every one hatches for you.

11. rags57078

rags57078 Well-Known Member

LOL I had 1 hen that laid every fall , a buddy told me they was no good and to eat them , so me being me stuck 4 in the incubator to see if he was right , well ended up with 3 gosling's and no place to put them so they stayed in the kitchen , yep after a month or so they would start going off in the middle of the night , tried shutting the lights off and that didn't work . after about a week of this it was time to do something , well I had an old chest freezer so I dumped it a bunch of saw dust and added a 60 watt light bulb , it stayed 60 deg in there so they spent the winter in that thing and was fairly easy to clean once a week . I never set goose eggs again in the late fall

12. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

My chickens that I got as chicks in April, hadnt laid a single egg. Then all of a sudden this week I am getting six a day, they are just starting to lay in November. thats usually when they slack off