GE oven problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by millipede, Nov 14, 2006.

1. millipede

millipede quack...

This oven came with our mobile home, new, two years ago. It's GE. If I can find the booklet it came with I'll be reading through it. I'll also be heading to GE's website(provided there is one) to see if I an find my oven listed there.

Brief history: When we first started using the oven 2 years ago, we'd smell plastic. I pulled the oven out and found where the electricity connected to the back of the oven, there was this plastic plate. Just this tiny piece. It was melting each time we used the oven, but not the stovetop. We got this guy to come out, and since we had just bought the place we didn't pay him anything, and he removed that piece. He said it would work fine til he got a replacement part... which never happened. We've been using it for two years with no problems at all.

Problem: I was just using a burner about an hour ago, or so... A while after I was done using it I noticed the light was still on that says there's a burner on. But there wasn't. I checked and re-checked. I turned each one on, and off... but the light is still on. It's not one of those lights that tells you if things are warm, it just tells you if something is on... and nothing is.

Any ideas? I even turned the breaker off for the oven, waited, and turned it back on. But the light is still on.

2. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

I would be very concerned about any shortage in any electrical unit. Something is wrong if it was melting plastic behind your stove-very wrong. Surprised you have not had a fire. We went to LPG @ 15 yrs ago and love it. Dependable, instantly hot, and no electricity to contend with. Have one to use on the patio for the summer time now. Will keep the heat outside. wc

3. millipede

millipede quack...

Oh, I didn't explain that melting plastic thing well enough. The guy said that piece was melting because the connections were loose. Basically wires from the plug(I think) connected to this plate, and then wires attached to another screw led into the oven. The connections were loose, and I think it makes sense to me that having them loose with all that electricity could cause a problem.
    I hope that makes sense.

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Check out:

repairclinic.com

I have used them to fix dryer, dishwasher, and over over the years.

5. millipede

millipede quack...

that's a handy site now isn't it... I checked it out, and I found what COULD be the problem.
    I can't imagine what else would cause the problem. The light has dimmed quite a bit, but will get bright(like normal) if I turn a burner on.
    I'll try to look up more info on that tomorrow as to what to do about it.
    For the time being, I think I'll leave the breaker tripped/off for the night so I don't have to think about it, not that I'm worried, and then tomorrow besides researching I think I'll remove all the burners and do a little cleaning in there.

Anyway, thanks for that link. I think I'll bookmark that.

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

my guess is you have a switch wearing out,

on ours there is a seperate circurt inside the switch for the indicator light,
    on ours if I would either push in or pull out it would go off, (I don't rember now), your probly getting close to a switch replacement, the indicator had nothing to do with the burner except for indicating that the power was on to that burner,

7. millipede

millipede quack...

Sorry I haven't updated on this sooner. After that first night of that light being on, it seemed to get more and more dim during the next day or two after that. At times you could barely tell the light was on, but it was. If you turned the burner on it was the normal brightness though.
    But after a few days it stopped happening. The burners all seem to work just fine... doesn't seem like anything isn't working.

Thanks for the replies.