gaurdian donkey?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by zharzhay, Jun 23, 2004.

1. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

hello all,

As always thanks for your ongoing help!

I have always wanted a donkey, and since it appears I must have a
    guardian animal, I have decided to try to find a donkey instead of a
    dog! And bonus, I can get a pack for it and bring it with me when I
    collect firewood!

Does anyone have any tips for me on this endeavor? My friend tried
    it with his sheep, but with an un-neutered Jack... haha, yeh we all
    wonder what he was thinking - the Jack was pinning the ewes down and
    biting everything. Well, I will try to find a Jenny. any other
    suggestions?

Thanks,
    Erik
    Marshall, NC

2. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

I have a Jack (he's all there) that I have run with my goats and sheep before with no problems. My yard dog keeps the predators away so I do not know how good he would do at that but all my neighbors have jacks running with there cows to keep the coyotes away and it seems to work.
    BTW my Jack is for sale if you want to come to Alabama to pick him up!

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have 8 Standard Grand Canyon Donkeys running with the cattle and horses. A gelding is the best, I think. A jenny is good. Never a Jack. As they mature over the years they become violent in many cases. I sell mine before the age of 2 or 3 if I am using one as a stud. My donkeys have killed coyotes, stray dogs, copperheads, a silver fox (unfortunate), and keep the numerous feral hogs run off. I have two trained to ride like a horse and one of those packs anything anywhere and drags stuff around for me. He also helps me pick up road trash with garbage bags tied all over him...one for paper, glass, cans, metal. I absolutely love my donkeys. They do founder easily and must be kept on a "poor" diet. No rich feeds or lush winter wheat pastures etc. They scrounge for food quite well. They do well on Youpon and pasture and maybe a bit of coastal hay if it's cold in the winter. I didn't even have a Jack once and they reproduced. Unknown to me, they had become impregnated by my neighbors mini Jack and gave birth unexpectedly a year later. I couldn't tell they were pregnant because the foals were so tiny. I don't pay much attention to the donkeys much anyway, they stay out in the woods alot or way back off at the back of the ranch, coming up now and then, eager and ready to be petted. I have to sell the 1/2 mini donkeys now because they messed up my Grand Canyon (adopt-a-burro) line (from 1980). I used to run my goats free and unfenced on the land but some neighbors moved back in to their ranch and are too close to run goats free, but the donkeys got along well with them when I did.

4. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have some friends that bought a pregnant jenny, and raised the baby, a jenny, with their sheep after it had been weaned. They sold the mother. The sheep stay right with the young jennet and she protects them from all the predators. I think it would be best for you to get a very young donkey and raise it with the animals you want it to protect. I have heard that the jennets do best as guard animals. I have donkeys also and love them.

5. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

we have a jenny and we fixed the goat pen so that they have a doorway out into her pasture but she can't get into theirs. It works out pretty well. She bellers anytime there is someone outside. Just once and then she's quiet, better than a dog thats keeps barking. I'm guessing that she keeps them pretty safe. We have a coyote problem aroung here and have had no problems with them getting our herd. She will chse the goats once in awhile but I think she does it just for kicks and since they can get away from her we don't worry about it.