Gaurd Dogs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nubiannana, Apr 11, 2006.

1. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

:confused: Has any one ever heard of a "Badger" Great Pyranees? My Sister and I are going to look at some pups tonight and this guy said he had white ones, and "Badgers"? Never heard of them myself and I don't want to pay a price for something that is not a full blood. Thank you! Oh, and I'm so glad to be a part of something so interesting and informative. And it sounds like there are a lot of really nice and smart people here too!

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Jazz, my Great Pyrenees pup had a badger mask when I bought her at 7 weeks. I did not pay more for the markings, which are almost indistinguishable now that she is 7 months. I dunno if some retain the markings more distinctly.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The term "Badger" refers to the brown-ish markings around the face and head. Like Tango said, it usually fades as the dog matures. I have 3 pyrs. Sam, our beloved male who will turn 4 next Tuesday, is solid white. Lyla is also solid white. Lola had the badger markings when she came here but now she's solid white also. I do have to say though, that it's the outer guard hairs that are solid white. The undercoat on all three dogs show badger markings but you just can't see the color way down deep under the outer guard hairs.

4. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

What is the best age to purchase one of these pups? And when I bring it home, do I immediatly put him/her in with my goats? I've also been told that you can't make pets out of them, because it takes them away from their duty as a gaurd dog. Is this true? Do I just leave him/her in with the goats, feed, water and ignore? That just seems so cruel and lonely. I want a good gaurd dog, but yet I want to be able to give them attention. Know what I mean?
    In researching on the Internet about these dogs, I read where they are chewers and need something to chew on. I've seen them with goats in the pasture, but never chewing on something.
    Thanks for all of your answers and help!

Bev
    Willow Pond Farm

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Jazz is a very calm and laid back dog. If she has chewed up anything, she must have swallowed it because I've never seen evidence of it. When I brought her home at 7 weeks, I put her in a large box with a bottle kid I was feeding at the time. They got along very well with supervision. Sometimes Jazz would put her big feet on the kid and the kid would scream out but she wasn't hurt. I think putting Jazz in with my adult goats at that time would have been a big mistake. They would have made her fearful of them since they were so much bigger and would scoot her away. For the first month she was my puppy and I cared for her as I have cared for all my pups- lot sof love and attention. As you hit the 12 week mark I started to put her outside at night, which she seemd to prefer anyway. At 7 months she wanders with the goat herd but still spends alone time with me and time with the other dogs. She will always spend some time with me as far as I'm concerned. She even requests it now, usually in the morning. I am her caretaker and she needs that bond and I need it too. The only precaution I take anymore is in feeding her. Jazz shows aggression with her food and bones so I make sure she eats by herself and she gets her bones and toys by herself. She shows no aggression toward me ebvenif I stick my hand in her bowl, so far just toward the dogs, but I won't let her show any aggression toward the goats so it is a precaution. One more thing I've found is that Jazz loves water. She swims everyday. I thought I had water-loving dogs before but this girl beats them all. I am glad as it will help her keep cool in the summer.