Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you gauge the weight of your pigs for slaughter? Also what weight are you slaughtering at?

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
We use measurement of girth. Square that.
Then measure length from between ears to base of tail.
Multiply girth squared result by length.
You'll get a huge number. Divide this by 400.

(girth x girth) x length / 400 = approx weight

This will result in approx weight allowing for about 3% either way for error.

We butcher around 240-250. Optimum for meat, yet not so much fat.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Years ago I read that Texans weigh pigs by building a huge balance beam from a log and two baskets. They put the pig in one, and rocks in the other until it balances. Then they estimate the weight of the rocks.

We always used the method Easy Day says, but just got a scale, so we will weigh them from now on. We usually butcher around 280-300. Big pork chops are nice.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
we tape ours mostly out of curiosity since we butcher the first cold snap after Thanksgiving.....and our hogs are about 280-340+ when we butcher....we are also fans of large porkchops ......brine those chops for the bestest eatin ever!!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Up North, at less than 100 pounds, I can lift more weight than many my size, but I just don't think I'm up to lifting 250 pounds of hog and stepping on a scale! -LOL-

·
pine grove farm
39 Posts
My grandfather could tell by looking at our hogs when they were ready! As i remember he was never off by much more than 10 lbs., most of the time he was close to 5 lbs.! He had raised hogs for over 50 years. I learned more from him than anything or anyone else combined. I sure do miss him!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I eye ball them to pick, then do a quick double check of the length with a tape, stick or string like this. I find that just the length works and then I adjust the formula a little based on is it a particularly long pig, etc.

If they are right to go then I get exact girth and length measurements when we load the pigs. I'm building up data to compare the measurements, hanging weight and yields of individual cuts.

I have designed a scale that would fit within our loading ramp but it is a project for the future. For now the string does the trick.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
BobK said:
......brine those chops for the bestest eatin ever!!
Oooh, yep! We brine, too. Makes 'em turn out really nice!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I got a hog weigh tape at fair this week, and am going to double weigh; once with the gxl method, and once with the tape...I'll let all y'all know how it fares. I really like the idea of the log balance beam and rocks, though...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When you brine the chop, do you just use salt? We tried some Morton Tender Quick on some chops once, and made ham in 4 hours. We didn't want ham, we wanted chops.

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
Ed Norman said:
When you brine the chop, do you just use salt? We tried some Morton Tender Quick on some chops once, and made ham in 4 hours. We didn't want ham, we wanted chops.
I just use pickling salt in water. Drop the pork in and let it sit about 3 hrs. Then, rinse and cook. I've never used Tender Quick. Does it have some tenderizer stuff in it?

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the formula. When I told my son to measure the pigs he of course knew about the formula already! I'll get his calculations and we'll see where we are at.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Jcran said:
I got a hog weigh tape at fair this week, and am going to double weigh; once with the gxl method, and once with the tape...I'll let all y'all know how it fares. I really like the idea of the log balance beam and rocks, though...
Ok, today the pig was 42 inches long and 40 inches around her middle...the weigh tape gave three weights at the 40" heart girth, 140, 145, and 150 respectively. Then it said for long hogs, which she fit, add 2% to be more accurate. This gave me 143, 148, and 153 pounds. When I did the gxgxl/400 I got 168 pounds. Then I subtracted 3%(the formula said + or - 3%) and I got about 163 pounds. So I am guessing she's somewhere between about 150 and 160 pounds. I got her as a weaner pig in late May and she weighed about 40 pounds. Does her rate of gain seem reasonable? She eats pasture, hay, pig grain, steals the calf grain, loaves of bread, and produce/fruit.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Jcran said:
Ok, today the pig was 42 inches long and 40 inches around her middle...the weigh tape gave three weights at the 40" heart girth, 140, 145, and 150 respectively. Then it said for long hogs, which she fit, add 2% to be more accurate. This gave me 143, 148, and 153 pounds. When I did the gxgxl/400 I got 168 pounds. Then I subtracted 3%(the formula said + or - 3%) and I got about 163 pounds. So I am guessing she's somewhere between about 150 and 160 pounds. I got her as a weaner pig in late May and she weighed about 40 pounds. Does her rate of gain seem reasonable? She eats pasture, hay, pig grain, steals the calf grain, loaves of bread, and produce/fruit.
Yes. Rate of gain seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Jcran (and others), when you take the pig to the butcher, tape it again and if you could post the tape results as well as the live (if you can get it), hanging and cuts weights in the freezer I bet people would be interested. I know I would. I've been keeping track of this to try and get better at taping and eye balling.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we checked them and they're about 195lbs. That's 10-50 lb. bags of feed and plenty of restaurant scraps to get them here from about 40 lbs. since June 9th. I have 2 more bags of grower and wondering if I should switch to more of a finishing feed?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts