Gator huntin'??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by swamp man, Apr 4, 2006.

1. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Hi,yall.My buddy's mom has some fish ponds,and they have gotten an alligator invasion the last few years.They have gotten big,and now,momma wants 'em gone.He called me tonoght, and wants me to come and take care of the gators this weekend.I hunt alot,but have never hunted gators.So here are my questions-I hear they have a little brain.Where do I aim?Bedind the eye?I am unfamiliar with alligator anatomy.I buy alligator tail steaks sometimes,and grill 'em.Is there anything special I should know about butchering a 'gator?Is the tail the only meat worth foolin' with,or are their other meaty parts?
    He drove out to her house today,and saw some smallish ones,but also saw a 12 footer, and an eight footer.They both let him sneak up within 30 yards before they hit the water,so getting a clean shot shouldn't be a problem.I have a coupla' .223 rifles, a mini-30(7.62x39) ,a .308,and a few shotguns.Any reccomendations?

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Freeze the pond, turn them into ice cubes and cut them out ! LOL.

3. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Make sure it is legal to hunt them where you are. Here you have to have a special liscense and a gator tag. The fine is very large and not worth breaking the law. You must have game department permission to remove or kill problem gators. That being said there is nothing between their eyes. The brain is back of the eyes a bit and centered between them at the start of the spinal cord. There is a small indention where you want to put the bullet. If they get in the water after the shot they will sink.

4. Florida

Florida Member

I go gator hunting every September during the gator hunting season. Its illegal to hunt them without a permit. You can call a nuisance gator trapper but this is more of a yankee complaint thing. Bullets tend to literally bounce off of their dinosaur heads. They are extremely hard to kill. If you shoot them with a gun they will sink to the bottom and float up rotten a few days later. I process the entire gator especially the jaw meat. The correct way to hunt them is to first harpoon them with a home made harpoon and then hit them at the base of the skull with a scuba divers bangstick. This is important! I use a 357 mag. Dont shoot it up close with a handgun you will end up with bone fragments in your face. Its a 5000 dollar fine and jail time it you get caught. If you hunt them the wrong way you might get bit. Ill tell you in detail the way the fish and game commission taught us if you want to know.

Here are some pictures of the 12 footer I caught last year

http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=30374&cat=500

5. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

They're good eating, but I always have this feeling every time I chomp down on a chunk of gator that sooner or later I'll meet one of its relatives looking for some payback. :croc:

6. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I've shot some 4 and 5 footers and you can best do that at night when they fix on a light. Ease up to them in a pirogue or flat boat and you can shoot them behind the eyes, but in between the eyes. Once you shoot them, you'll need to stick them with a hook pole to keep them from sinking. If you don't hook them, they'll sink before you can get them and then, no meat

A 12 footer is a monster and should be left to a pro. Here in South Louisiana, there are several nuisance gator pros "employed" by the parishes. However, their only pay is they get to keep the gator. I would definitely call wildlife and fisheries for some direction on anything above 8 foot.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I've known some to serve jail time for killing without the permit....and we're not talking a few days, either. Good eating...tastes just like poodle. :bouncy:

8. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

Instead of hunting, it's actually more like fishing for them. Down in Louisiana, when they "harvest" them, they use big fishhooks on lines with big chunks of chicken for bait. They tie them to branches and leave them for a while. When they come back and check them and see there's an alligator on the line, they pull it up and get him to the surface and shoot him(usually with a rifle). My uncle used to do this a lot. He hunted them(with a license) on private land with the permission of the land owner.

9. Country

Country Well-Known Member

In La you have to own or lease the property you are hunting on. A rep from WL and F will come out and estimate your gator population then give you tags for a certain percentage of the gators. You can only take one gator per tag. When the tags are all used your hunting is done. It also has to be done within the season. I don't know if this is a federal program or if it varies by state but I do know that you can't just go kill a gator. Hunting is best done at night but if you don't know what you're doing you can get yourself hurt. Lots of people bait a hook and run their lines later, killing whatever they happen to catch. My Dad learned to hunt gator from his Dad. That was way back in the day. Long before the gators ever became endangered. They used to tell us some tales! My Dad died when I was eight years old but I remember him and my Paw Paw and Uncle skinning three big gators one morning after a night's hunt. They used to shine them with a headlight and shoot them with a rifle. Lots of times the shot only knocked the gator out without actually killing them. After a few coming back to life in the bottom of the boat they started cutting the spines with a hatchet and running a straw up the spine.
    This thread sure brings back memories. Thanks.