Gateway Computer Warranty Problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jul 25, 2005.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

My Gateway flat screen monitor is self destructing and in conversation with Gateway, because the monitor is 2 1/2 months out of warranty they don't want to even know about the problem - up to having one of their "Customer Service" supervisors hang up on me.

What is happening to my flat panel monitor is that there is a black spot growing up from the bottom of the soft screen much like you are injecting ink into the screen OR that the reflective part of the screen insides is oozing out. They indicate that nothing like this has happened or been reported before, but in any case they are not interested in knowing about it since I neglected to purchase an extended warranty.

I personally think this is a manufacturing defect and since they don't want to know about it, Iwill use this monitor until it obscures the screen but count onit - I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GATEWAY PRODUCT AGAIN AND I URGE YOU NOT TO DOSO LIKE WISE.

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

So the monitor is 14.5 months old?

Does it have a model number? can you find who made it, cause Gateway didn't. You say flat screen, so it's a CRT and not a flat panel.
    have you degoussed it? there should be a button on the bottom of the screen or on the back for that.

And If you call a local computer repair shop, they may be able to tell you what they think is the problem and approx how much it would take to repair.

If out of warranty, you aren't going to get any help from tech support or warranty. Some will let you know that more gently than other.

Angie

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

No the warranty from Gateway is 3 mos.

The computer was purchased in January 2005. It has Gateways logo's all over it and it is flat panel (the soft gel-like screen).

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Gateway does not have a great reputation lately. A flat panel purchased separately, would have minimum one year warranty, and most come with 2 or 3 year now.

5. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Good luck getting anything done Yucca. I use to work as a Gateway tech until we were outsoursed to India. Their customer service has since gone down the toilet. :grump: :grump:

The monitor may have Gateway stamped all over it but I'll just about bet it's a Sony. Gateway does not manufactur any components, only sticks them in the box with their logo's all over them and jacks up the price by 20%. If it is a Sony, you have what we call a 'known issue'.

There is a connector at the back of the monitor that works itself loose. I've got a Sony with the same problem. There are two ways to fix the problem, one is to open the back and reconnnect the connector. The other's kinda strange but it works and doesn't involve opening the back (which definatly voids your warrenty) and fiddling with wires.

Turn off the monitor. Leave it off for about 2 days. I'm not sure what this does, except maybe give the LED's time to 'cool' off. Turn monitor on. As monitor is powering up, give it a sharp rap on the back. Upper right hand corner works for me. Should come back on with no problem. You can also go to Sony's website and look up more info on the problem. My husband did, but he's out of town until Thursday. You can pm me and remind me to ask him if you need more info.

I'm suprised the CS tech didn't try to sale you either an extended warrenty or a new monitor. They were getting really persnickity about the upselling thing before I left. Next time ask for a supervisor and bypass the reps entirely. Bet they try to sell you one of those 'Answers by Gateway' cards to the tune of 1.98 a minute.

Good luck.

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

"Gateway does not have a great reputation lately."

Gateway has never had a good reputation. Dude, you should have bought a Dell.

Dead pixels in LCD screens aren't uncommon, especially in monitors made back then. Some warranties even require counting how many pixels are bad before they'll do anything about it.

Sometimes you can gently "massage" the pixels back to life but go easy or you'll make it worse. You might also try taking it apart and making sure the screen isn't getting pinched by the frame or casing.

7. Jared

Jared Active Member

I've never met anybody who had a good Gateway. I bought a lapttop a few years ago, when they were pretty thick and 2500 bucks and the monitor went out sometimes, so I had to gently tap the back of the monitor to get it back on. Plus, the battery charger went out, so I sent it back. (Thankfully, my warranty was still good) I got it back with a new charger and the same old screen problem. My friends CRT monitor started having problems shortly after the warranty went out. Gateway is one of the worst out there.

8. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

I must admit, hanging head in shame, I bought a Gateway!!!!
    It has been a lemon since the moment it came out of the box.
    I fought and fought with gateway about it. Even went as far and sending it back to SOUTH DAKOTA!!! They gave me a 6 year warrenttee!! LOL
    What a joke!! It doesnt work worth a :flame: You get the picture.

Bottom line NEVER BUY A GATEWAY PRODUCT!! Now I will not even buy an E-machine, since gateway bought that company I'm sure they have ruined it!!
    Alice in Virginia

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If you paid with a good credit card, your warranty is automatically doubled. You DID pay with a credit card, right???

I make ALL of my purchases with plastic just for the double warranty, theft, and accident insurance.

contact your ccard people if you did, and ask for a claim form....

good luck

10. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Gateway builds "new" computers with USED parts!

This is a fact that I uncovered only when my six week old Gateway mouse failed. Turned out, the entire motherboard had to be replaced -- it was a used motherboard, not the specs that I had purchased.

Even though at the time there was a Gateway repair shop in my town, it took two months for them to get the six week old computer repaired, and when I got it back it was missing the expensive additional memory sticks I had purchased. Plus it worked for less than three more months before it failed again.

That time, I junked it and bought a Dell.

I've been using that Dell for four years, no problems.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GATEWAY!

11. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

In the early days, when they were just starting out, they had a good reputation, and for a reason. When they failed to keep up with the competition, they began to cut corners, and are now what you see here. Dell has good quality, but unless you are a corporate buyer, you will probably get some outsourced customer support now from Dell.

12. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Currently have two gateways, never have had any problems that they couldn't fix(that were their problems, microsoft is another issue). One was purchased in 1997 and is still running great(little slower, but still works). The one I happen to be on now was bought in 2001 and has given no problems. When we first got the 97 model, something went wrng in the disk drive, they sent the part, and over the phone guided me through fixing it. Also gave a $50 credit to my account for the trouble. This one in a flatscreen, no problems with the screen at all.

We have lifetime support on both of our Gateways. Last time I called(2 months ago) it was techs in the US. Every time I have tried microsoft it was damned indians. If you like to spell your conversations out for fun, call microsoft tech support.

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The sooner Gateway goes belly up the better. I hear nothing but bad things from the people I know that have bought them especially lately.

My last experience with them was back in 98/99 or so. I bought one of their machines and had lots of problems with them. They didn't know how to diagnose a problem. Their tech support consisted of have the customer reload windows and if that didn't work start swapping out components. They had me reinstall windows once and didn't tell me I would lose all my data. I knew of course but made a big deal out of making them think I had lost all my files. I had supervisors on the phone and all sorts of apologizing and butt covering going on. No excuse for such carelessness. Then they had the brilliant idea of "group" tech support where you had a half a dozen other customers on the line with you. There's a term for that....the first word is cluster.

I'm my own tech support now as far as desktops go. I build my own. My laptops are Sony and IBM. IBM tech support is hit and miss. More miss than hit. I've never had to call Sony IIRC. Getting drivers and updates are nearly impossible with either one. Sony has some of the most brilliant and beautiful LCDs I have ever seen on a notebook. The one on my IBM ThinkPad looks like a pile of puke by comparison.

14. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

While gateway may be crap, I am not sure I agree with that. Every vendor has isses from time to time and when consumers what the cheapest product thats what they get.

What bothers me is that you posted this under Gateway Computer Warranty Problems then state your unit is out of warranty. If its out of warranty then its not a gateway issue. Granted one would like a product to last past the warranty , but sometimes its just past. If you had the problem before the warranty and they did nothing this I would say ok, you have a warranty issue, but as noted you dont.

The issue your seeing is an inter glass break. Nothing to do but replace it.

15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Yup, that was a long time ago. I remember back then they bought out ALR(a server co.) and ruined that formerly respected company. They went downhill ever since.

I've never had a problem with IBM. With Dells, I've only had one problem ever, a bad floppy drive. I bought a replacement drive for $3+shipping from Directron.

I've never called customer support for any products I've bought. I find searching the internet solves the problem much easier than trying to convey it to someone over the phone. In regards to outsourced CSRs, I do deal with them from time to time in other things. I've never had any of the problems with India based reps that I see people complaining about. Once in a great while I might have to ask them to repeat something if they're talking fast with a thick accent but even that's been rare.

16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Bad monitors from Gateway. Sounds familiar. We've got a massive contract with them here at work. Roughly 20% of the monitors are defective new out of the box. Another 20-30% fail within the first year.

17. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

I've got my own problem with a Gateway laptop. The LCD inverter died in it during a marathon operating session. I emailed Gateway tech support, and they said that they'd fix the laptop, for $550! I only paid $300 for the used Pentium 2 machine and the support equipment. I decided to try fixing it myself, and found a large number of LCD inverters on Ebay that fit my particular machine. I ordered and installed it, and it worked... for about 30 seconds. After a flicker... flicker... squeal... black screen, the 'new' inverter died too. I'm now trying to get a stripped laptop that I can install my memory, HD, and other parts into. If that fails, I'm going to get that $550 laptop. It WON'T be a Gateway!