Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put up some t-posts and 4-foot no-climb wire fencing. It's been great for fencing off a buffer zone in the pasture, but spring will soon be upon us and we will need to mow the area that is currently fenced off. We'll cut the wire fencing and install a gate between two of the t-posts, but it seems to me that the farm gates I'm seeing at Tractor Supply are too heavy for that. What would YOU use as a gate between t-posts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What are you trying to fence in/out? I usually use hotwire on a handle for "gates".

You are correct that a regular gate will not work on a t-post. You can also just install a gate post where you want the gate.

Jena

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jena,

We're keeping alpacas from walking on that part of the pasture. They don't challenge gates or fences so we just really need a visual barrier for them - something that we can open to go in and mow.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mygrayfarm said:
Jena,

We're keeping alpacas from walking on that part of the pasture. They don't challenge gates or fences so we just really need a visual barrier for them - something that we can open to go in and mow.
I'd go with the cattle panel idea. I don't like them because they get overgrown and you have to pull them out of the grass, but they work if you only need to get in there occassionally.

Jena

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Secure the fencing to the 2 T posts and cut it away from only one of them. Then weave or secure another T-post or a piece of wood to the free end of the fencinf. Put a loop of wire at the top and the bottom of the T-post you cut the wire from. You can then slip the post you attached to the cut end into the bottom loop and then slip the top loop over and your fence is now a gate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts