Gates for Temporary Fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mygrayfarm, Mar 2, 2004.

1. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

We put up some t-posts and 4-foot no-climb wire fencing. It's been great for fencing off a buffer zone in the pasture, but spring will soon be upon us and we will need to mow the area that is currently fenced off. We'll cut the wire fencing and install a gate between two of the t-posts, but it seems to me that the farm gates I'm seeing at Tractor Supply are too heavy for that. What would YOU use as a gate between t-posts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cattle panels are not very heavy and are stiff enough to stand up. They are 16 feet long.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

What are you trying to fence in/out? I usually use hotwire on a handle for "gates".

You are correct that a regular gate will not work on a t-post. You can also just install a gate post where you want the gate.

Jena

4. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Jena,

We're keeping alpacas from walking on that part of the pasture. They don't challenge gates or fences so we just really need a visual barrier for them - something that we can open to go in and mow.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'd go with the cattle panel idea. I don't like them because they get overgrown and you have to pull them out of the grass, but they work if you only need to get in there occassionally.

Jena

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Secure the fencing to the 2 T posts and cut it away from only one of them. Then weave or secure another T-post or a piece of wood to the free end of the fencinf. Put a loop of wire at the top and the bottom of the T-post you cut the wire from. You can then slip the post you attached to the cut end into the bottom loop and then slip the top loop over and your fence is now a gate.