gas water heater pilot light want work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Nov 22, 2004.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have a Bradford White gas water heater, The pilot light want stay lite when I let go of the red pilot lite bottom. I replaced the thremolcupplin and replaced a new gas line to the piolt light The parts have taken 4 weeks to get here, With Thanksgiving coming up I sure would like some hot water. It's been a long time.Thank you for any help sue

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Sounds like it will lite but not stay lit, so there has to be gas present.

If the new thermocouple isn't putting out the correct voltage it may not hold the gas valve open. If you have an electrical ohm meter it should be able to determine the output voltage when heat is applied to the tip.

You may ruin a thermocouple doing this, but one serviceman I knew used to use this trick on occassion with new thermocouple that wouldn't hold the gas valve open----he would take a torch and apply EXTRA heat with it. Often the thermocouple would then hold the gas valve open properly.

If the thermocouple is proper, about all that is left for creating problems is the gas valve itself. Not a cheap item to replace. Might be time to call a repairman to make the correct determination.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Before you start replacing expensive parts consider the age of the water heater as well. The average life of one is 6 years now. I think thats nuts, but consider if buying a newer more efficient one is the better choice.

I replaced ours this summer when I realized we had had it for 14 years and inherited it when we bought the house. I replaced it as preventive maintenance.

4. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

some times if you over tighten the new thermocouple it will short out the magnetic mechinism that holds the pilot portion of the valve open. so try to loosin it a bit another problem could be that the thermocouple is not aligned in the flame correctly the flame should impinge on the top 1/3 of the new t/c if these things are right It may have some slag in the pilot orifice from replacing the pilot gas tube and wont let the pilot flame burn properly to heat up the new t/c If your handy you can pull the burner out and check the orifice by turning the gas mian off then unscrew the main tube from the valve then the burner usually just slides out towards you find were the pilot tube attaches to the pilot assembly and unscrew.orifice is inside and usaully pops right out with a little push the hole in the orifice is very tiny and could probably be cleaned with a needle but dont make the hole any larger than it origanly was. then reassemble and check for leaks on all connections with strong soapy water. If this doesnt help you may want to ckeck on replacing you water heater the valves usaully cost more with labor than a new w/h . if you need help doing this i could walk you thru it. hope this helps. terry in kansas :)

5. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

please walk me through this my number is 207-765-2026 call collect